Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Iowa
I spent a few days reading and learning and plan on taking baby steps on my first project. 

Discharge tests TAKE forever!!  Sad
Yes discharge tests take a while. Use non smart chargers to charge near terminal voltage 4/2v,3.6 etc depending on cell chemistry
later floyd
(11-21-2020, 11:28 PM)Jrombou Wrote: I spent a few days reading and learning and plan on taking baby steps on my first project. 

Welcome to the group :-) Most of us discharge at 1000ma which will normally take just over a couple of hours for a fully charged cell, you might be discharging at a lower rate. Good luck with your project
Follow my Powerwall journey here: 
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjXT8KJnEzo-DJHFRR1W8jg

Building the following:
20kWh Powerwall
8kW Solar
30kW Heating system
(11-21-2020, 11:28 PM)Jrombou Wrote: I spent a few days reading and learning and plan on taking baby steps on my first project. 

It does take time.   I use 3 x OPUSs on my office desk and process 12cells / day using 500ma discharge.   That's over 200 days to process the 2500 cells I need for my latest pair of 14s88p batteries made from RING packs.   For me, I don't mind doing this a bit each day as the cells need to set and then building the packs takes time and I have to buy the cells over time....   so I do it in parallel / slow motion.   However,  after a couple of years of slow and steady I'm nearing 10,000 cells (108kwh battery bank).

BUT I understand, to speed things up that's why people build charge/discharge stations of 5 or 10 or 20 OPUSs or mega chargers etc.   And 1000ma discharge is faster but my OPUSs would overheat so I went 500ma because I didn't understand in the early days about cooling them properly and now I stick with it for consistency.  

You don't say your goals / timeline but you can extrapolate after you do your first X cells / get a process down...  and then see what you need to do.
OffGridInTheCity Wrote:
Jrombou Wrote:I spent a few days reading and learning and plan on taking baby steps on my first project. 

It does take time.   I use 3 x OPUSs on my office desk and process 12cells / day using 500ma discharge.   That's over 200 days to process the 2500 cells I need for my latest pair of 14s88p batteries made from RING packs.   For me, I don't mind doing this a bit each day as the cells need to set and then building the packs takes time and I have to buy the cells over time....   so I do it in parallel / slow motion.   However,  after a couple of years of slow and steady I'm nearing 10,000 cells (108kwh battery bank).

BUT I understand, to speed things up that's why people build charge/discharge stations of 5 or 10 or 20 OPUSs or mega chargers etc.   And 1000ma discharge is faster but my OPUSs would overheat so I went 500ma because I didn't understand in the early days about cooling them properly and now I stick with it for consistency.  

You don't say your goals / timeline but you can extrapolate after you do your first X cells / get a process down...  and then see what you need to do.
To be honest I just started the accumulating cells for simple home automation projects. I have many sensors throughout my home that I wanted to operate on battery. Spent a lot of time with different ESP's and fine tuning the sleep mode of various chips.

Now with the recent Derecho experience I thought about building a small system (1kWh) so that I can provide a backup to my home automation hub and build onto that as the painfully slow processing continues.

I am undecided on the actual voltage level that I will use but figured if I use a P approach I can build on that to increase voltage S when I get to that point.

I built a few TP4056 stations for charging and picked up a Zanflare charger that would provide discharge ability(I'm using 500ma setting). The batteries I have are recycled and have a Nom discharge of ~ .440 and so far a pretty consistent ~2200mah capacity give or take 10ma with 4.2v.

Currently I am trying to understand the Ir report that the Zanflare provides. Not sure how accurate that reading is.

So far I have about 139 cells, so in between tests I am getting familiar with the next step. One thing that is unclear is the wait time between preliminary charge and moving to the testing stages. How long is long enough? I have been waiting about a week before putting them in discharge/charge.

I am a tinkerer and even if this is a slow process I am learning a lot.
I use 10 opus. So i basically do 80 cells per day. More than enough for most people Smile
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh