Starting a new DC WALL in Mexico

Saul Gonzalez

Hey guys, im starting a new pack for dc devices only, this is a 11.1 nominal pack, 3s and 33p (or 33p and 3s ???)
i got new samsung and lgcells from ebay, they are ebike battery packs that i disassembled.

image_lxhyft.jpg

image_cqcece.jpg

since this are new cells i used the ******* hardware on the first pack to see how they worked, since i'm not ass good on soldering. my experience on the ******* is actually not that good, they are hard to get them all together, and after that i had to make sure all the cells had good contact with the caps, witch they did not, had to disassemble part of the pack twice to get it correctly done.

I installed a 26 gauge wire as a fuse for protection, these cells are 4.4 AH so that worked perfect, after that i used XT60 connectors for the final cables, i did place a cable for charging and another for discharge on the opposite side of the pack, charging side has a BMS.

image_obgaqb.jpg

image_cmkprc.jpg

TODO:

i orderd a dc step up to connect the battery to the diferent devices that i whant to connect, router, network switch, ubiquiti antena, small pc for survaillance, survaillance cameras... ill post more pics once i have all that connected and arranged.

please leave your comments ! thanks for reading

my youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/saulgonzalez76

I like the idea of the pre made units, but very unsure of the added resistance.
It looks to me, that the tabs just touching the ends of the battery could cause problems with heat.

Just my thoughts.

What i seen so far those packs actually doesnt save any time neither do they work that well. You need to press them together very tight and have no guarantee that they stay like that unless you force them to it.

Neither less welcome and will be fun to see your projects!

daromer said:
What i seen so far those packs actually doesnt save any time neither do they work that well. You need to press them together very tight and have no guarantee that they stay like that unless you force them to it.

Neither less welcome and will be fun to see your projects!

Yes, you are correct, it acctually not a great product, my next packs will be made difrent.

I'm actually going to make my packs using the similar contacts that are in the cell holders with the tabs. They are "very" tight connections and I haven't noticed much resistance (though I haven't fully tested this). It's gotta be better connection than the style you have there.

I did see their video on assembly and how they are made. I think the spring is too weak to make sure it has solid contact, the spring coil causes excessive resistance (and during a short may actually be a downfall as the fuse may not blow; I think). I like the bolting option, but it needs to be more friendly. It seems the assembly takes about the same time as soldering.

However, it's nice that there's someone here who has that setup and can share their experience with it :)

I now have an issue, not sure if this is normal, i ilstalled a 3s bms on the battery, now the voltage are:
bank 1: 4.23v
bank 2: 4.19v
bank 3: 4.09v

if i keep charging the bank one goes up to 4.25v, is this safe?, that's the bms stop charge limit. also, should i keep charging the battery until bank 3 its full ?

Korishan said:
I'm actually going to make my packs using the similar contacts that are in the cell holders with the tabs. They are "very" tight connections and I haven't noticed much resistance (though I haven't fully tested this). It's gotta be better connection than the style you have there.

I did see their video on assembly and how they are made. I think the spring is too weak to make sure it has solid contact, the spring coil causes excessive resistance (and during a short may actually be a downfall as the fuse may not blow; I think). I like the bolting option, but it needs to be more friendly. It seems the assembly takes about the same time as soldering.

However, it's nice that there's someone here who has that setup and can share their experience with it :)

hi, Korishan

i cancelled another order of *******, because if one cell goes bad i would have to disassemble the hole pack instead of just pulling out that cell, i will be making the pack with plastic holders instead.

I would check the cells with a Good multimeter. There might be a calibration error with the bms or the cell voltages are just too high. ideally you don;t want a cell to be above 4.1 for better life

Or u charge more than the bms can balance. One of the issues with cheaper ones with no feedback. If bms balance with 50mA as example ur not allowed to top charge with more either

If cells are getting over 4.2V, do not keep charging the pack to bring the others up. This will shorten the lifespan of the over charged cells dramatically. If you can disconnect the cells that are over charged that would be best.
But it sounds like your bms is not functioning as intended. Test it out with 3 cells in series to see how it handles those.

I most likely think the BMS work as it should. If you look at all the cheaper ones they balance between 50-150mA. No problem to overcharge there and their disconnect voltage is generally above 4.25 in real life :)

SaulGonzalezVillafranca said:
these cells are 4.4 AH so that worked perfect,
Welcome Welcome.
The cells are 2.2Ah though. The packs you had were 10s2p which is why it says 4.4Ah. Wouldn't want you to think you are getting double the amount of energy from your packs ;)

Back