Tips: Cell holders for A123

I thought the china plastic cell holders were the best thing since sliced bread.
The only down fall is the ends of the batteries and bus bars are still exposed.

I saw some clear looking tape some on used to cover the ends but I don't know what its called to search for it.

I ran across some pictures of the a123 systems battery holders.
Kinda nice the ends are sealed and the main body is open for cooling.

image_uzejwf.jpg

image_dhxqnu.jpg

image_gmbsux.jpg

Are they plastic or aluminum ?

Nice holders. wonder if someone will 3d reverse engineer them? ;)

They look like aluminum to me. They dont have that gloss look of plastic. Plus, the screw holders would hold better in metal than plastic (the ones in the first pic) And in the 2nd pic you can see a large flat shiny surface. It doesn't look like a sheet (like in the first with the tabs visible) but looks flat against pack, which looks like it is the end of the pack.
However, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time :p

To my eyes, those are some really nice looking packs - lots to learn from them.

I've been wondering about how one would go about being able to isolate a bad cell in a large pack of cells via monitoring (as opposed to managing) . The posts, screws on the side made me wonder if they were there to allow 'fuller diagnostics' on a pack that might not be healthy.

It would be handy to have eyes/ears on _every_ cell - but I know that is not practical - but maybe it would be handy.

Nice the advertisement for A123, but doesn't talk about the packs we see here ;) Altho, I did find it a bit more informative in general as to who they are.

kazback: "been wondering about how one would go about being able to isolate a bad cell in a large pack of cells via monitoring"
I plan on doing this with my setup. I'm going to monitor each cells integrity. I haven't decided to what degree yet. I'm going to have a monitor/controller for each series, then that will communicate to the larger pack through I2C which will in tern communicate everything back to the master through I2C. In theory, I should be able to find a problem cell if/when it arises and address that cell specifically. That's partially the reasoning behind not soldering the cells in place and using cell holders.

That Looks sweet! just what I need for my cells :D
To bad I have all those standard cell holders ordered already..

Back