Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Glubux's Powerwall
To replace a cell, you have to break the 4 plastic corners around a cell and unsolder the fuses. Quite easy.
(12-29-2016, 07:16 PM)Glubux Wrote: To replace a cell, you have to break the 4 plastic corners around a cell and unsolder the fuses. Quite easy.

That's another reason I went with the solid copper wire bus bars, there is enough room to pull a single cell without having to unsolder the entire busbar like the previous design I used.
Glubux and shonalex like this post
CHEAP! 2200mAh Sanyo Cells for Salvage, Only $0.17/ea!!
^ Use discount code "BATTERY" for 10% off!
What is the rational behind keeping all the cells in a pack within 100 mAh of capacity?  Why not intermix and make capacity and cell number equal?
You're right, there is not really a rational reason, I guess either way is fine, I just decided to go this way because manufacturers match their cells and also this design allows me to add cells if a pack is a bit weaker.
(12-29-2016, 07:16 PM)Glubux Wrote: To replace a cell, you have to break the 4 plastic corners around a cell and unsolder the fuses. Quite easy.

I kinda figured that, but how do you keep the replacement cell in place. Remember I'm thinking about a mobile installation. Any ideas?
That's a good question, on my first packs (page 1) the bus bar was directly soldered on the cell so it should stay in place, but with the second design, with only a .25mm fuse on each side, I think the best solution might be a gluespot.
FrostyDog likes this post
(01-02-2017, 11:46 AM)FrostyDog Wrote:

I kinda figured that, but how do you keep the replacement cell in place. Remember I'm thinking about a mobile installation. Any ideas?

You could look at cradles, similar to what I have done, but with inline ANL fuses for extra safety.
I can pop a cell in about 2 seconds, and insert in half that time.

Sorry Glubux, didnt mean to hijack!
Thumbs Up 
(01-02-2017, 07:59 PM)3nergE Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 11:46 AM)FrostyDog Wrote:

You could look at cradles, similar to what I have done, but with inline ANL fuses for extra safety.
I can pop a cell in about 2 seconds, and insert in half that time.

Sorry Glubux, didnt mean to hijack!

Nice idea mate, but I'm dealing with volume constraints, why I went for the 4X5 spacers. Also, I'm not sure how the cradles would hold up to the vibrations of an offroad environment. Thanks for the thought tho Smile
Perhaps not the most interesting update but here is the new shelter for my system

Learjet, Elwood, miu And 1 others like this post
Nice shed, is it far from the house/solar ?
Current setup: 21x 215wc poly, 7.5kWh 7s 18650, PIP 2424msxe.