A possible version of bus bars

BigBen

Hi guys,

just want to give an advise/idea for possible bus bars.
I've got some shilding braid (shilding wires inside of cables). Thinner is 4,4 square millimeters and thicker is 8,8 square millimeters.
Look at pictures:

image_xiblom.jpg

image_wzwdmp.jpg

image_hsmydv.jpg

See you...
BigBen

Great looking idea how ever if your using blue cells I'll require you to turn them so they are nice and clean facing out. :) lol

I've got a whole box of this braid, it is also called earth grounding straps. There are also battery interconnect cables (lead acid battery banks) that are just thick braid.

The real test of any cable is how warm it runs during charging and discharging.
See resistance converts electricity to heat.

Glubux said:
Nice, is it easy to solder?
Yes, it is easy to work with but one needs a little bit higher temperatures because of the bigger mass. I use usualy 400 C on my solder.
You do not need to cut in the long direction, not to hammer it flat, not to prepare it with solder and etc...
Just cut it in pieces of required lenght and use it.
I really want to use this method in my future builds of battery modules.

image_oqzgay.jpg

BigBen

Lux_Gamer said:
Hi Bigben

Nice idea are the bus bars flexible or stiff?

Lux,
Hi Lux,

they are flexible - that is the first status. After soldering the places with solder get stiff and it is good, because the whole construction get stable after soldering and is not droping down - it would cause shortage if it would fall down.

Greetings
BigBen

And now almost the last step in processing the moduls: crimping terminals

image_jjmvhp.jpg

This is my module - it is like Petes, he has also 80 cells in his module - but my has another orientation, it is almost square

image_bwpuct.jpg

And finaly I will put red and black shrink tube over the connector wires and connect them all togheter.

See you...
BigBen

Are you aware of what will happen when the pos/neg terminals meet ?

Sean said:

After a brief but intense hookup they will get married. Then things will really heat up. :D

On a more serious note, as long as the fuses are sized correctly he's fine.

Sean said:

Yes, sir! I`m absolutely aware!
But I have to document my working flow and there is the moment where the pos. and neg. terminals are naked and uncovered.
Therefore I wrote above I have to put shrink tubes on them. For sure one have to isolate the terminals.

BigBen

Hi folks,

here is not the final state of my battery but the slow approximation to the infinite target ;)

image_repoic.jpg

The next version will get shorter cross connections - 16 cm instead of 21 cm now. That will be enough.
And yes, the first pack has different colors of cell. Guess why? Exactly, I did't have any right color to repaint them... :lol:

Anyway, now its time to use the battery to harvest sun energy. It will go into my power shelf.

BigBen

Back