PIP-4048MS

Joaquinsfy

Hi

some one is using the PIP-4048MS to charge ion lithium cells?

i'm trying to use it to charge an convert my powerwall.

Thanks for the help,

Joaquinsfy said:
Hi

some one is using the PIP-4048MS to charge ion lithium cells?

i'm trying to use it to charge an convert my powerwall.

Thanks for the help,

I have yes, set it.5v below my PCM60X so it stopped charging before the PCM60X did. You can also get lithium 'hacked' firmware update for it also from an EV forum, I'll have a hunt around for it. Many use it successfully.

I would be interested in this firmware mod, as I have a pair of the 4048's in parallel charging Li-ion 18650's

Thanks for the link. I will read it in a bit. One of my main bugbears with the 4048 is that it doesn't seem to make full use of the available solar. If I kill the mains to it and force it to go to solar power, then it easily runs everything connected to it and charges the cells, but if I leave the mains connected, then it just seems to trickle charge and every once in a while change to use the solar input. It is set for 1=SOL (as opposed to SBU, which just seems to cycle from battery to mains powered pointlessly, even when the sun is down and utility is charging and 16=CSO (solar charge priority, then utility) Any ideas?

Sounds like poor setup to me, do you have internet access I can definitely log in to your computer using TeamViewer and help you out.. or at least put a second set of eyes over it for you. Or you could log into mine and have a look. Either way I'm happy to help out where I can.

I have found the problem, loose connecting cable from the main batteries to the 4048, making the voltage drop at the 4048 under load. All sorted now. :)

Awesome, it's the little things lol

Can anybody who uses the PIP4048 confirm what is its no load consumption?
On MPP specs it says <50W, can we trust it to be like that, and how much exactly it is?

What about its efficiency at small loads, like for example around 100 Watt? how much does the PIP consume for it self?

I'm really considering buying the PIP 4048, but since my overnight load floats around 50-200 watt, I would definitely not want it to consume another 50watt just for running the inverter.

I know that more efficiency comes at a price (much higher price), but I'm just trying to get an idea how much its efficiency is at this kind of load.

Probably when you build a `big` powerwall, the watt cost of the inverter is not that important I guess, but considering someone aiming at a `medium` size powerwall (5kwh for example), I don't really like the idea of the inverter consuming something like 400wh (overnight).

50-60w, exactly what you'd expect from the price point :)never seen it under 50w

Yeap 40+ watt is what you need to expect. My largr MPP is close to 200W.....

They are definitely not the most efficient devices but in the end its all about the money :)

Can someone explain the difference between all the models? I send a email but with no explanation.

My setup will be

1- li-ion pack
1- lifepo4 pack

Explain what versions?

MPP support is horrible im afraid :/ I whish they would be better becayuse thats one thing that could make them better overall.

I explain what my setup is but they don't answer

They could better a stepping plan menu simple questions with the best product as advice.

I have sent mails since i bought mine. They only answer before you buy and only to simple questions in the manual.
For instance my last mail i asked them if i can call them. then they replied that i ned to contact support.. So I told them that i had atleast 5 mails not answered from support and the oldest was like 6 months.. And i asked back "How long should i wait for support to reply" Have not got any reply to that email either... Nor of the following 3.. And im not spamming them. im leaving 2 weeks between like their instructions says :)

Only time last 9 month they answered me is when i ask about buying something new...

IMHO, with that kind of support, I'd just not buy from them. Kinda crappy that they don't reply to emails when they are trying to build a brand. I wont get one from them.

Since my installer debacle, looking to go the diy route and seriously considering duplicating Pete's setup where applicable. Hence I'm looking at a PIP4048MS (Pete has a HS model I believe, no solar charger). Can anyone confirm max PV power wattage these 4048MS can handle ? From manual it seems 145V x 80 A = 11.6kW ?!

Its all in the manual.

The 4048 supports 4Kw load and 4kw solar. Up to 80A but its not 80A at maximum voltage. Its Max 4kw and with either max 80A charge to battery and thats at max 145V PV.
http://www.mppsolar.com/v3/pip-ms-series/

daromer said:
Its all in the manual.

The 4048 supports 4Kw load and 4kw solar. Up to 80A but its not 80A at maximum voltage. Its Max 4kw and with either max 80A charge to battery and thats at max 145V PV.
http://www.mppsolar.com/v3/pip-ms-series/
Makes more sense. So 80 A max @ 48V nominal is indeed in the ballpark of 4kW. Therefore @145V max Amps ~ 25A ? If so the 3S pannels I'll use I'm good for ~ 36A @111Vmp, therefor 3S4P should be feasible on one 4048MS inverter. Hopefully still within MPPT range (will need to double check).

3S is more than fine. I ran 3s5p on my PIP without issues. That was 3600W with 260W panels.

There is no issue having more incomming current than it can charge with. Only thing is that it wont use it and will therefore be at higher voltage. In that case just make sure the max open voltage of the panels isnt above 145V. But on 3s it will work with both 60cells panels and 72 cells panels.

Back