Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing Stuff
Revisiting that electric screwdriver. This time, it's getting 18650ed. The problem is the NiCd cells keep self-discharging over times of disuse. As NiCds normally do. But it takes hours to charge them back up, and I want to be able to pick the darn thing up and just use it real quick.

So the obvious answer is Li-Ion! Just so happens that 3 NiCd cells in series is almost exactly the same Voltage range as a single Li-Ion. Or a single series of them. Anyway, I bought 6 brand new 20A cells a while back, and used 5 of them on a cordless drill I got at Good Will. But that's for an other post. The extra cell is for this guy.

The motor in this screwdriver has always been satisfactory for me, but the cells just don't last. A 20A 18650 should be more than adequate to provide whatever the motor wants. And I think it has more than twice the capacity of the original AA cells, which are long gone now.

I've also replaced the charging socket with one that is a match to my iMax charging cable. In the future, I could also make an adapter for a TP4056 board. Not sure what I want to do yet.

But a lot of internal structure had to be removed to make room for the new cell. It's a tight fit, but it works. Smile

The original charging brick, also long gone, was just a 120VAC to 4.5VAC transformer. A single diode rectified the current to the old cells. Shame on you Black & Decker for such a cheap system. I bet they could've fit a full wave rectifier and a capacitor in there for about the same price, and cut the charging time in half.

Anyway, no fancy electronics to adapt. And it works perfect. Even at only 3.2V. Gotta go put it on the charger though. Smile

Now I can get back to the other drill. The one from Good Will with the bad battery and no charger.

-Mike G
This one doesn't have a happy ending, so I understand if y'all don't want to watch it:

However, since the stator is dead, I wonder if I could remove it and do something else with the aluminum housing. For example, replace the stator with magnets and make a motor or generator? Maybe you all have other ideas?
-Mike G
Nice work Mike. I'm also regularly in the workshop fixing, modifying and improving stuff! I never thought to document and post anywhere. Its nice though, to share and have others comment, and learn from your work.

I have a Abbott and Ashby bench grinder with a wire wheel. My neighbour has commented that it is the most used tool on my bench - and i think he's right lol. All of the guards have somehow gone missing!

I recently upgraded from my grandfathers tiny bench vice to a new Supercheap angled vice and replaced the jaws with aluminium stock. They get damaged easy but grip really well and cheap enough to replace when needed. Being a cheapo, the thread binds a little, so I'll have to address that one day.

Hmm. Maybe i should start my own thread?!? Keep up the good work bro!
rebelrider.mike likes this post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As at Mid May 2020 -Total cells 1,135/Shucked 1,045/To be shucked 90/Processed 194/To be processed 608/Zero volt 183/Bad/rusted 19/Sanyos 1/21700s 24
All tool batteries comprising of Milwaukee, Makita, AEG, Hilti, with Samsung, LG, Sony and Sanyo cells from 1.3AH to 3.0AH (OEM)
Chargers... 1 x Nitecore D4/1 x LiitoKala 500/1 x iMAax B6AC
On order... 5 x LiitoKala 500/1 x LiitoKala 500/1 x iCharger 4010 Duo
I recently fixed our cordless vacuum cleaner with a couple of brand new 18650 cells. The old ones had lost about two thirds of their original capacity (thus going to the recycler and not into my powerwall). Now it is strong enough to do the whole apartment on full throttle Big Grin
rebelrider.mike likes this post
(05-16-2020, 08:26 PM)stevelectric Wrote: I recently fixed our cordless vacuum cleaner with a couple of brand new 18650 cells. The old ones had lost about two thirds of their original capacity (thus going to the recycler and not into my powerwall). Now it is strong enough to do the whole apartment on full throttle Big Grin
I'm eyeing off everything in the house to see what I can supercharge or rather... What can I 18650?

Bosch drills - Already 18650. DOH.
Dremel - 240v. DOH.
UPS - WINNER!

I made my own 3S pack with 21700s for my Gel Blaster.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As at Mid May 2020 -Total cells 1,135/Shucked 1,045/To be shucked 90/Processed 194/To be processed 608/Zero volt 183/Bad/rusted 19/Sanyos 1/21700s 24
All tool batteries comprising of Milwaukee, Makita, AEG, Hilti, with Samsung, LG, Sony and Sanyo cells from 1.3AH to 3.0AH (OEM)
The UPS will probably run just fine with 4s. The charge voltage of the UPS would be about 3.8V/cell. If you use go with 3s, the max you could have at full charge would be 12.6V, which the UPS may think is half full and may keep triggering shutdown.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(05-17-2020, 01:26 PM)Korishan Wrote: The UPS will probably run just fine with 4s. The charge voltage of the UPS would be about 3.8V/cell. If you use go with 3s, the max you could have at full charge would be 12.6V, which the UPS may think is half full and may keep triggering shutdown.
Except that its a 36v UPS, so 10S. I've done the charge and discharge tests using standard SLA to work out voltages. See my projects thread. I'm still in the process cycling cells and waiting for parts to be delivered to get the build under way. I'm thinking I'll use my lower capacity cells 1.3~2.0AH and keep my 2.5~3AH cells for larger projects like the end game power wall.
Wayne's World, you may already know this, and if you do it would be for the benefit of others.

Its a nice assortment of chargers, but please keep in mind when it comes to bulk cell processing... it would be best to use the same charger to process all that cells for that specific project.

Consistency matters, not the accuracy. Various brands have a tendency to meter differently, which means the values you write on the cells are not as relevant as ones that would be processed all using the same.

As for your wish list, the 4010 is awesome, but I would pass on the iMax B6. From what I have seen there are other inexpensive chargers that would be a better buy. I say this from the standpoint that I see a others having problems and its also a product that counterfeited often.

You should meet your wish list in the middle with a $100 4 button iCharger like the 106B or 206B, or the newer X6. While I own the 4010, it's a luxury item, not a necessity considering their other single channel models can pretty much do the same thing. Having one of good quality is a valuable tool.

Yeah mate, we've had this discussion elsewhere. I've had the D4 for a couple years and use it just to precharge as I only have the one 500 atm. I ordered the B6AC Monday and it arrived today. I did my homework, and it is a genuine. I would have been happy with the DC version, but no stock. This one was a reasonable price locally. Its use will be mainly for small packs such as tool batteries. As I've mentioned I've got 5x500 on the way and I wanted the 500s purely for 0v recover - just to see if I can. Stock of the 4010 is a couple weeks away. Yes, a luxury, but will do everything I will want in the foreseeable future.
i have rebuilt most of my power tools and flashlights with li-ion.
esp the black & decker versapak system.
most of my packs now have either tesla model 3 salvage cells or for higher demand stuff molicel p42a.
a tesla 2170 also works well in an isotip iron.
of course you need a charger but its cheap and easy with tp4056 boards.
i just gut the base and add 2 tp4056 and a red/green led per channel.
the isotip gets one in the tail replacing the charging pins.
converted a 70's phillips iron that takes isotip tips the same way.
it can still charge in its holster.
it has a usb rather than a wallwart now.
OffGridInTheCity likes this post