Source for copper wire

crud

Hi everyone,

just wanted to ask where you usually get your copper wire from.
I'd like to go with the twisted version.
So from what i read, usually 2,5mm thickness is good (Most people seem to use 3 twisted of them).I found some sources but its mostly coated copper wire. Not sure if i can go with that.
I guess blank is better.
So where do you usually get your cooper wire from?

Many thanks and best,
Chris

Hardware store in the electrical section. You can buy bare copper wire by the roll. Or, for a cheaper option, buy the 2/1 or 3/1 house wire since you get 2 or 3 strands plus ground. Sure, it takes a little effort to strip the coating off, but house wire is easy to strip. Especially fresh (as opposed to getting 5+yrs old wiring)

Normal electrical store or scrap yard.

I use normal wire from house hold like EKK wire. Then i strip it down. Like this:

I got some cheap from a garage sale, and a few bits from houses under construction/demolition.
You have to ask if it's a building site, due to people that steal from them.

I just scour old power supplies., and take the coating off. Can get plenty of 16 gauge, or even 14 gauge from higher end ATX power supplies.

Yeah, I know. But I like doing this since I'm a PC enthusiast at heart, and I love seeing how each power supply is engineerrd when cutting the wires.

Hey, just picked up 3x2,5 from the Hardwarestore for now. Good price and just around the corner.Just took me minutes to extract the copper and i instantly made some wire using the drill technique :)

image_oheffe.jpg

image_ymasbo.jpg

No, I think he just capitalized on it :p

The first time i saw it...

I did my first twisted bus bars almost 1 year ago now. I have used the same for some years in other purposes where i needed high current wire. If i was first i doubt.
But I borrowed the way to lay it out from others and then in combination with the twisted since that was what i had. My video was months later than above though.

I think above video was the first out there.

Ive put 50Amps (+/- 5%)@ 12V's through a 3 twisted 14 gauge copper strands.I have a several 20A, 12V DC power supplies and I wire them up as needed. maybe I'lltest up a new test rigand run some differentdesigns through it.The big problem is that's its not FUN or exciting to watch. If you make too "sciency" people wont watch, if you do it in "garage-fashion" people say its a useless test...maybe I can make a video without the boringness(or try to make it more interesting)...hummmm, wheels turning

1958 greyhound said:
18650 videos don't make views, boobs and boats get 3mill views with a shaky camera!

I think the solution is to create the worlds first Bikini Soldering Team.

Back