Spot welds too strong

Wattsup

I picked up around 30 of these packs, never seen this brand before.
These are as new, replaced because the circuit boards have been upgraded on a newer model.
So I opened up the first pack and on removing the nickel strip from the first couple of cells there was a slight fizz sound, like cracking a tiny beer can (don't know how else to explain it :p)
On closer inspection the spot weld on the neagative end had popped a tiny hole in the can.
It's not the first time I've seen this. Some dewalt packs do this also.
I've left a section of the strip on negative end of remaining cells.
Something to keep in mind If they feel really tight.

Very inconsiderate of the company, they should be thinking of us diyers who come to pull their packs apart ?

Photos

image_xtowzt.jpg

image_plgghd.jpg

image_ljpapq.jpg

yeah, had this problem, too, mostly with ebike battery packs. After opening 3 cells like a beer can by ripping off the nickel strip (while still being totally dry ;) ), I gave up and cut the strips with a dremel:

image_gdvydt.jpg

Doesn't look nice, but works fine, if you don't cut too deep... Can't believe that the manufacturer don't think about us when producing packs with weldings that strong... :D

Yeah, shame on those manufacturers for being so inconsiderate! :p

Yeah it they stick just cut em instead. I do that here too.

Well these drills get dropped and abused so it's expected. Now the last couple dell packs I opened the nickel strips just fell off they were welded soo lightly

Yeah, I've had the same thing happen. I think that's partially why the bms shut down the pack, couldn't get enough power. I've even had packs where there was only 1 spot weld on the cell. Not sure how that happens when's there's two probes. Odd

I'm glad we all agree on the lack of consideration shown by this company and others toward the diy community :p :D

Just as a side note/ observation, I had this cell sitting outside on the verandah overnight after taking the photo in the original post.
I picked it up today and noticed this corrosion has occurred overnight. Must be quite corrosive the electrolyte inside the cells!

image_fhshna.jpg

image_eydnut.jpg

Back