Prius Conversion

hbpowerwall

Administrator
http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2009/08/australian-company-launches-prius-phev.html

Post so I can go back to it later, thought it was a great idea tho..might be a cheaper way of getting into ev that's still practical

image_umuvvg.jpg

hbpowerwall said:
http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2009/08/australian-company-launches-prius-phev.html

Post so I can go back to it later, thought it was a great idea tho..might be a cheaper way of getting into ev that's still practical

image_umuvvg.jpg

Im familiar with prius cars since I have had two. I also have a Toyota Avalon hybrid.

they are using a 48 volt pack with a DC to DC buck converter to bring the voltage up to the 215 pack voltage for the NImh packs.
It looks promising to do it this way. The DC to DC buck converter is a lot easier to findthan a 215 volt battery charger would be.

A kick ass idea would be to turn the car into a backup generator. I have seen a lot of them that will convert from 12 to 220 volts or 110 volts, but
the 12 volt charging system in these cars is much more limited than the 215 volt charging system.

So getting an inverter that could work off the same 215 volt charging system would be something.
If you had that, then it might be simpler just to come up with a 215 volt charger. Maybe dig into the prius plug in hybrid hardware. should be cheap by now.
In fact, it may be much cheaper and easier to just get rid of the whole car and buy a plug in hybrid by default.

Unless of course you already have the prius on hand like I do.

i loved the idea for a few reasons that really work for me. 1. Can buy with out batteries 2. 48v so I can charge with solar & use the power when required in my home. 3. I can a second BMS Batrium naturally and probably make a custom harness that plugs the power in & the TX & RX of the Batrium harness

HI
I no this is a old post and this is going to be a noob question but would the Danfoss DLX Series Grid-Tie Inverter they have for sale on Battery Hookup work with the Prius 215 volt battery pack and charger

Morty said:
HI
I no this is a old post and this is going to be a noob question but would the Danfoss DLX Series Grid-Tie Inverter they have for sale on Battery Hookup work with the Prius 215 volt battery pack and charger

Ive done this conversion,

1st one was a conversion where a 48v battery was used with a 48v-240vdc inverter, this works, however, th delivery of power has to be limited under 16 amps other wise the car battery ECU throws a code as it doesnt know where the power is coming from.

2nd was a seperate 240vdc battery in the boot that was in parallel with the original battery, along with an electronics kit that checks all parameters and cancels out the prius error codes due to the car receiving battery power that iti is not expecting to receive.

The 2nd kit is much better as it is basically then an EV car with bigger range.

With the prices of full EVs now much cheaper than they were maybe 8 years ago, decisons to be made whether the mods are worth the expense

Thanx
But i was thinking more on the lines of using the Prius as backup generator using the Danfoss DLX Series Grid-Tie Inverter which has a input voltage of 230-480 volt dc i think the gen2 Prius battery pack is 202 DC volts i was wondering if it was doable

Morty

Back