SMA Sunny Island ????

Chris Davis

I am in the very early stages of my system, Initially I was looking at building a SolarEdge System, as I want per solar panel monitoring. Sorry, I am computer Nerd, and I love data, that is why I am a MySQL Admin ::). Then I found out about the TS4-R (Optimized)from SMA, and started to dig into there product line. What I am looking at is starting with two SUNNY ISLAND 4548-US / 6048-US -lto provide 120/240V power for me in the USA. While they have there own Battery Charge Controllers in them, I don't want to AC couple them to the PV Arrays. So I found thisSunny Island Charge 50 AMP (pdf)and this looks like it will allow me to move the PV system back to being DC Coupled.

Has anyone worked with these devices? Anyone have any feedback ?

I see a price listing on their web site for the Sunny Island. How much does it run? It's nice that it's large scale single split phase and 3 phase.

Belated Update: I guess that should be - I "can't" see a price on their web site.

ChrisDavis said:
I am in the very early stages of my system, Initially I was looking at building a SolarEdge System, as I want per solar panel monitoring. Sorry, I am computer Nerd, and I love data, that is why I am a MySQL Admin ::). Then I found out about the TS4-R (Optimized)from SMA, and started to dig into there product line. What I am looking at is starting with two SUNNY ISLAND 4548-US / 6048-US -lto provide 120/240V power for me in the USA. While they have there own Battery Charge Controllers in them, I don't want to AC couple them to the PV Arrays. So I found thisSunny Island Charge 50 AMP (pdf)and this looks like it will allow me to move the PV system back to being DC Coupled.

They are basically rebrandedTigo optimisers. You can get them under thetigo brand and use them with any panels / inverter or mppt charger they don't have to be used with sma

Inverted18650 said:
sorry misread the original post...I thought you were asking if you should get it, my bad.

I am looking into it as an option, I guess the question I was trying to ask, is has anyone used them, and if so do you think this is a good idea, or should I just get a separate inverter for the PV panels, and then let the Sunny Island re-charge the batteries via the AC instead of trying to keep the power from the PV panels DC by going directly to a charge controler.

Korishan said:
I see a price listing on their web site for the Sunny Island. How much does it run? It's nice that it's large scale single split phase and 3 phase.

Belated Update: I guess that should be - I "can't" see a price on their web site.

The Sunny Island6048-US run ~$4,200 US.

The Sunny Island Charger 50 ~1,267 Us.

KtB said:
ChrisDavis said:

They are basically rebrandedTigo optimisers. You can get them under thetigo brand and use them with any panels / inverter or mppt charger they don't have to be used with sma

I would like to keep the system in one brand if possible, so I like the idea of trying to keep everything SMA. The problem is I have not seen a setup like this in any of their documentation. Also I have not seen the Sunny Island Charger in any US stores. It feels like the US stores like like to use AC bonded System vs DC bonded system.

This is what I was thinking for a layout.

[img=960x720]https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/...mRFGowRMgaZtyW5qSSl3fHw/pub?w=960&h=720[/img]

For the price just for a charger I rather get the inverter and sync with sunny island and use it in the day time to power ur need and charge the batteries through the sunny island
In this way ur saving batteries life and the sunny island too
(Sunny island has timers starting setting) thats my opinion

Back