Time is money and money is time

nokiasixteth

I am sure there is a lot of guys here like me who dont have time to rip apart a pallet load of 18650 cells ,test them then build . I am not sure but am sure there is someone who has more time than money on there hands that can get these used cells test them and resell for a bit of profit. I havent done any math but it may be worth it if someone is out of a job and needs extra cash . I am thinking of buying a few and hiring my (old drunk) uncle to do the testing of the cells:). He has way more time on his hands than i do these days.

nokiasixteth said:
I am sure there is a lot of guys here like me who dont have time to rip apart a pallet load of 18650 cells ,test them then build . I am not sure but am sure there is someone who has more time than money on there hands that can get these used cells test them and resell for a bit of profit. I havent done any math but it may be worth it if someone is out of a job and needs extra cash . I am thinking of buying a few and hiring my (old drunk) uncle to do the testing of the cells:). He has way more time on his hands than i do these days.

I always enjoy processing cells better when I have several beers and music or a podcast playing. So If you can teach your uncle the steps to test the cells and not destroy them when deconstructing the laptop packs, you can save some money maybe.

If I had more money than time, I would install a tesla power wall 2 along with micro inverters or a solar edge systemon High efficiency solar panels.

Better yet, I would install a tesla solar roof glass slate tile system.

I just saw a video of a guys power wall 2system in australia. It does everything I want to do with a powerwall.

egam said:
nokiasixteth said:

I always enjoy processing cells better when I have several beers and music or a podcast playing. So If you can teach your uncle the steps to test the cells and not destroy them when deconstructing the laptop packs, you can save some money maybe.

If I had more money than time, I would install a tesla power wall 2 along with micro inverters or a solar edge systemon High efficiency solar panels.

Better yet, I would install a tesla solar roof glass slate tile system.

I just saw a video of a guys power wall 2system in australia. It does everything I want to do with a powerwall.

I have always liked the concept of being able to design and build things my self . I always seem to find some kind of a flaw where if i had just built it my self it would worked better more efficient something to that effect. I have one day off each week. That is spent running to town almost always is a all day thing, cutting grass some kind of yard work. The time i get home around 10 i spend doing computer work. Looking forward to the slow season in a month or so coming up.Him on the other hand . Has enough time to process these cells . Pallet load would be nice . Think of the possibility there. :DThink of the possibility of getting alot more of bad cells than good. What a nightmare.

Time is not money. You can always make more money, you cannot make more time. Just my 2c

I agree with the others. Its the satisfaction of doing it yourself. That said why not get him to test and sell cells?

As said you can never get more time but more money so generally time is more worth than money. With that said some things is worth to pay for instead of tinkering around.

But its always fun to play around and thats worth even more! :D

Geek said:
Time is not money. You can always make more money, you cannot make more time. Just my 2c

I agree with the others. Its the satisfaction of doing it yourself. That said why not get him to test and sell cells?

When your paid per job . Every single minute is money. Waist 20 minutes per day. That can be difference in 100 to 200 bucks extra.

I thought about it . But he dont know how to turn the computer on. He would prob wined up spilling beer on one and ruin it . When you think at it like that its similar :p. Pay the power company for higher rate . Or pay him and later on recap that cost by getting it done faster.

nokiasixteth said:
1958greyhound said:
and yet people make millions a year from doing nothing.

Must be nice

Don't be bitter. No millionare is ever happy. Self made millionares aren't happy became they ruined thier life for money. People born with a silver spoon in their mouth will always be bitter. The best anti depressant is achievement. If you don't have to achieve anything what is the point.

Geek said:
nokiasixteth said:
1958greyhound said:

Must be nice

Don't be bitter. No millionare is ever happy. Self made millionares aren't happy became they ruined thier life for money. People born with a silver spoon in their mouth will always be bitter. The best anti depressant is achievement. If you don't have to achieve anything what is the point.

I have no money to spend on my project. I am going to buy chep Chinese balance circuits. Yet I will be pleased with my work. I have done something with little financial outlay that will save my family money. Bit by bit I shall grow my setup, untill the money i save can buy decent BMS, and solar panels. Then I have an achievement to be proud of.

Geek said:
nokiasixteth said:
1958greyhound said:

Must be nice

Geek said:
nokiasixteth said:
1958greyhound said:

Must be nice

I have no money to spend on my project. I am going to buy chep Chinese balance circuits. Yet I will be pleased with my work. I have done something with little financial outlay that will save my family money. Bit by bit I shall grow my setup, untill the money i save can buy decent BMS, and solar panels. Then I have an achievement to be proud of.

Have to say you gotta very good point there .
I am in the same boat a lotta times . Make money in summer to scrape by in the winter. Almost like a old bear :angel:

I would not consider buying tested cells from your drunk uncle. Even tested cells, you should test yourself. Not because I dont trust your drunk uncle, its just that I don't know what he tests it with and having a consistent baseline of testing is the only way you ensure it gets done right and that your packs come out balanced.

Geek said:

As a business person... I have always said "time is money"

It is true, you can not make more time... but with money, youcan buy someone else's time, allowing you to save your own.

This is why I have staff, because I don't have enough time, so I pay for someone time in orderbetter utilize mine.There is a cost to that time, which is why I say "time is money"

I also feel money doesn't buy happiness... but I just bought a kWeld and I seem to be pretty happy about that.... so maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

I'm not here to save money or time, I am here because it's a hobby and I enjoy it. I like to make things, and I am pretty content cracking open my own packs and testing my cells.Nothing I do here is actually worth my time, but it's not always about money either.

What a coincidence... I just pulled up a spreadsheet to see how much money it would take for me to not worry about money. It seems 1.5 million in liquid assets is what it takes. Plug in all the interest and taxes and expenses, it would net out with a slight increase every year for me. So until then I guess I'll still be a wage slave.

I really hope that the job posting is still relevant. Since I’m looking for something like that. Moreover, I think I can do way better than a drunk uncle. I’m between jobs right now and running out of cash. I live on my savings, but I don’t want to spend everything while I’m searching for something suitable for myself. That’s why I’m looking for some jobs with flexible hours, which will allow me to look for a job, attend job interviews, and get some extra cash. I’m playing non-stop the w88club, and sometimes it helps me to get some extra cash. Still, I want to do some tasks to make my brain working, not only gamble non-stop.

Last edited:
But its always fun to play around and thats worth even more! :D

Well said Darmer. I love to play around. Just hope’n’pray the Mrs never finds out 😂 😂 😂

I see it's been a while, and I hope you're doing well. While I can't speak to the profitability of this venture, it's great that you're thinking creatively about ways to earn money. Hiring your uncle to test the cells is smart if he has the time and expertise to do so. Just take safety precautions when working with these types of batteries. There also are cool ideas for side income here https://joywallet.com/article/games-that-pay-real-money/ . Best of luck with your venture!

Last edited:
Time is in limited amounts available, but time spend on the Powerwall, was and still is a very good investment.
With the prices we pay now these days for power....(winter 1 euro a kwh, summer 50 cent a kwh...) we save about 4000E a year on our Electra bill, and we started cooking and heating water with elektra, 2000 euro saved on gas every year.......
Oke now expanding for 2 ev's.....
No wonder i am building tester 2.0

For all in doubt.....just freaking start....so what you have just 5kwh storage....
Be clever and build for expansion first, then harvest cells.

I am thinking of buying a few and hiring my (old drunk) uncle to do the testing of the cells:)
LOL :D

This thread is hilarious!

@100kwh-hunter I agree with you, saving on costs is part of a good money management.

And lately I read a lot about millionaires and examined what Jordan Peterson says in his sociology studies (so interesting wow!). Most of them are men driven by a specific goal. They sacrifice their life working for that main goal, working up to 80 hours or more per week for 365 days a year. It's a very intelligent and motivated type of man.

They sacrifice their life working for that main goal, working up to 80 hours or more per week for 365 days a year. It's a very intelligent and motivated type of man.
And i did this too for the last 10 years...working out a idea that i had 40 years ago i just wanted to be realty.
Now i am here 2 years of some more work and i am done....
Next job? walking newspaper with my dogs......

From saving up for a piece of field and a "what you can call a house" to a all payed off luxury mansion...and ATM almost grid free.
One in the Netherlands and one in Poland, both in very rural areas....

Don't sleep your dream....don't follow your dream...but .... hunt it down.... chase after it...trap it.

Yes i am self-made, but the price that i payed?

Advice for others, do what you like and you will not work a single day anymore...
Out with the television, Netflix Disney hbo ect.
common sense ect.

ps in my avatar was my pet not a catch.

Back