Short lived whole house UPS until generator kicks in

pbearne

Hi All

I hope this is the right place for this question

I live in the sticks and have install a gas generator as backup but is takes a few(30) seconds to kick in after the power goes down so I trying to find / build a battery unit ( thinkwhole houseUPS)that will last 60 sec-ish to bridge the cap.

Anybody got a suggestion / advice?

I can see thatif/when i get some solar I might want to run off the batteries for some of the time but will be a different project.

Many Thanks

Paul

Question: Do you need to run the whole house when it happens?

I ran like you want but with UPS on parts of the house and that worked well. ie I had a smaller ups on all important stuff like the electronics and some other appliances.

That makes it easier to find an UPS that will work. heck even a 2nd hand for nothing :)

Ideally the whole house would be nice as thinks like the clocks/microwave/cooker/hi-fi wouldn't need resetting when we lose power

I have UPS's on the network and computers already

Paul

3phase or 1phase? You would need a rather beefy UPS for it so. Any BIG ups or HUGE inverter that can be tied grid/load so you can do the switching would work i would say. But it depends on the load of your house.

Personally im not sure its worth to UPS a whole house unless you take it further with Solar and or batteri bank for saving money in the end. But it all depends on where you want to spend money as well :)

You are mentioning solar some time so perhaps either an offgrid or hybrid inverter with a battery bank is the sollution. That in combination with ATS switch.

pbearne, I am working on a similar project, except mine is to build a mobile power station in the basement of my motor coach.
I have decided to use the 18650 Battery cells I can get them and I have been following HBpowerwalls youtube for about a year now.
My intentions are to have a backup power enough to last me for a day or if the right conditions longer. I will charge the units in the RV with solar but I would like to have a backup bank in the house and those will eventually will be charged using solar as well but for now I need to find a way to charge them battery banks , so if there is an emergency I will be ready.
I want to have the entire house wired for the power to switch over to the inverted power supply then if it drops below a certain voltage the generator will turn on powering the house and reloading the battery bank. So this what I am working on And I am at the early stages but the most costly they say is the batteries so I am working on those right now one cell at a time. Have a great day David.

Back