Nex's build

nexsuperne101

I guess I should document this somewhere.

I started off many years ago with 4no 80 watt panels, which cost me 1000. Back in 2002, that was a really good price. Now I can get 250 watts for 110. How things have changed!

So from my 320 watt system, to the 3KW solar PV I now have,plus an 8KW wood burner and a 30 tube, 300 litre solar thermal water heater.

image_ihczrd.jpg

image_japjmy.jpg

I did mess about with a small 3KW air source heat pump, but it was as near as useless in winter, as itkept freezing, so spent more time on defrost than making heat.

The lesson learnt here was that ASHP's are useless in high humidity sub zero temperatures, and woodburners work perfectly no matter what the weather is like.

image_pfdaoh.jpg

I also had a 1KW wind turbine on the roof. The original black PAG blades used to create shadow flicker in my neighbours kitchen when it was sunny in winter at the right time of day, so I got hold of some clear blades. It stayed up and running for a few years, until we had a storm which clocked 103mph and broke the turbine mount (but not the turbine). I wrote it off as a bad idea after that, and just stuck with the solar and wood alternatives.

image_wylezm.jpg

My original system consisted of 200AH of lead acid batteries, configured for 48V in 2 blocks of 4. Lead acid is fairly rubbish, so I only had a usable capacity of 100AH, or 4.8KWh to maximise the amount of discharge cycles. After about 3 years, the batteries needed replacing, so I have gone through a few sets in the last few years.

My current project has a pair of PIP-HS4048 inverters with parallel cards installed for 8KW continuous/16KW peak pure sinewave output. Total demand per day averages 4.8KWh, which comes from washing machine, CCTV, telecoms, TV,fridge/freezerandall the LED house lighting. Power generation in summer is fine, as the 3KW of solar puts out easily enough to recharge the batteries in 4 hours, including running the loads at the same time. Winter is a different story. Output on a cloudy day is terrible at 300 watts, so although the batteries do charge, it is barely enough. For this reason, we still have Economy 7 (off peak) electric here. That charges the batteries completely from midnight to 7am, then at 7am, the mains contactor disconnects the grid and we run on battery and reduced solar PV until midnight and it starts again. I will get more solar at a later date, as I want to get completely off grid.

image_jmjqyn.jpg

The system I have gone for started as a 13S36P, split across 4 boards (13S9P), but it soon became apparent that 14S is the better choice with the 4048, as the threshold can be run from 42V (3V per cell) up to 57.4V (4.1V per cell). Whilst this isn't 100% of rated capacity, it is a better way to maximise the number of cycles. So my final system will be 14S64P, split across 4 boards (14S16P), to give 10KWh of storage using Samsung 26F 2600mAh cells. It isn't quite enough storage for the 3 days that it should be designed as, but its not a bad first attempt.
image_akgmep.jpg

On this setup, I will have a temperature sensing 30A BMS on each of the 4 boards, as my concrete reinforced building coulddrop below zero C in the depths of winter. I have got a ventilation and heating system that monitors the environmental side of things, so that will maintain the temperature, but the BMS is just there for if the heater fails, the cells drop below zero and the charging will then cease.

The pack is mounted on a backboard 1600mm wide by 1600mm deep. Each board is 400mm, but they will be one above the other. I am not too restricted on space, which is why I went for the 4 module 18650 holders. The other reason is that if a cell fails, they are extremely easy to replace, just pop it out of the holder and chuck a new one in. No soldering required.
Each battery is joined to an interconnecting copper busbar, which is 1.5mmCSA, on the negative side. The main battery connections are 4mm CSA, as this is good for 37 amps, but will never exceed 30 amps. The positive side of eachofthe 224 cells per board will be connected to the negative busbar of the next cell by a 0.2mm (35SWG) tinned copper wire "fuse". This is designed to blow open if a fault develops between cells at 5 amps. The 26F is good for 2C (5.2A), so the fuse is the weak link (as it should be!).

With 16 cells in parallel per board, the 30A maximum will work out at 1.9A per cell, or well under 1C, so both charge and discharge currents are well inside manufacturers specifications.

Maximum output would be 6.9KW at 57.4V (120A), falling to 5KW at 42V (120A).
This is way beyond anything I would ever need, as even emergencycharging my Nissan Leaf wouldonly need 3.3KWh.

Just done a "heart in mouth" moment. Started upgrading the firmware on my 4048HS to version 72.40. I got halfway through and realised I had the MS (MPPT version) firmware. I had to let it complete, or I would have bricked the unit anyway. 15 minutes of fingers crossed! It rebooted and works beautifully. It's lovely and quiet, has spent more time actually using the solar and batteries in the last 2 hours than it did in the last month. It now displays PV in watts, not vague amps. The Watchpower app now shows the solar PV input and current, whereas it didn't before. The battery capacity is showing a realistic amount as well, not just going from 100% to 60% as soon as it goes off grid, and then doing 10 seconds on battery before clicking back to grid power.

Stage 2 was completed today. 678 solder joints later and I have a fully operation 224 cell 14S16P board with 30A BMS. I just need to add the remaining 104 cells when the come in from Gearbest in a week or so. Per board is now a nominal 2.5KWh. The 4048HS has been set up as follows; Low voltage shut down = 44.8V (3.2V per cell), max voltage 57.4V (4.1V per cell), On-battery voltage = 54V, On-grid voltage = 50V.
image_hmxlfb.jpg

Another update. A few more cells have arrived, but I am still waiting for another 56 to get into the UK. Some pics of where I am at now.

image_exrxnl.jpg

image_kpjzju.jpg

Have you still got the PMG for the WT in the second image ?

Sean said:

I have a 48V 1KW PMG which is from a FuturEnergy turbine here (1st picture), but the second one (Hornet), I sold as a complete unita couple of years ago. The Hornet had a better output, as it was based on a car alternator with neo magnets. The FE PMG still put out 1KW @ 32mph, so not too shabby.

nexsuperne101 said:
Sean said:

I have a 48V 1KW PMG which is from a FuturEnergy turbine here (1st picture), but the second one (Hornet), I sold as a complete unita couple of years ago. The Hornet had a better output, as it was based on a car alternator with neo magnets. The FE PMG still put out 1KW @ 32mph, so not too shabby.

I've sent you a PM :rolleyes:

Time for another update. It is finished with the initial 224 cells. Total storage is 2.5KWH. I have now ordered another 448 cells, but 112 LG MJ1 3500mAH and 336 Samsung 35E this time, spot welded with nickel strip to give a total of 153.6AH of storage, which at 4.2V across 14 clusters would give just over 9KWH. Pictures to follow.

Nice build

When you calculate the total energy you need to base it on the nominal voltage and not the top voltage. Because the top voltage will only last for seconds.
153.6*3.7*14 = 7.9kWh (Otherwise you will get very disappointed when you test it) Depending on load you may even use 3.6V as the factor but most cells work fine with 3.7.

image_cjpger.jpg

Well, I added a few more cells. It now has 336 Samsung 35E, 224 Samsung 26F and 112 LG MJ1, which going on the 3.7V nominal gives me about 8KWh. All I know is that running the following items it is costing me about 5 a week in electric :)

Fridge freezer
xbox
2 TV's
2 heating pumps (for solar space heating and hot water)
Washing machine (about 12 times a week)
Vacuum charger
Various laptop and phone chargers
CCTV system
Raspberry Pi3 (which the webserver that monitors power production is on)
Nissan Leaf (about 15KWh a night)
Kettle
Microwave
Electric Range cooker

If Iwasn't doing quite so many miles for work, then that would be a bit lower, as Icould charge the Leaf more on sunlight, as would be at home,and less on cheap rate overnight electric.

OK, so its now time to do some monitoring. Ibought theRS232 to TTL for my RaspberryPi3, and then realised that they both have female plugs! So I got the soldering iron out and modified the lead that comes with the PIP4048 Inverter.

I really like the dashboard that Daniel has come up with using Grafana, so he has very kindly taken the time to sort something out for my install by way of an ISO. I am now doing the "Idiot" testing, as my experience of anything other than Windows is extremely limited. The theory is that if I can do it with so little coding knowledge, then a complete beginner should also be able to download an image, put in an SD card and run a program to put the image onto the card. Put it in the Pi, and switch it on, job done!

Just as a footnote, the wiring isn't quite as expected. The TX and RX pins were reversed from the Inverter cable, so pin 1 went to pin 3 on the D type, pin 2 went to pin 2 on the D type, and pin 8 went to pin 5 on the D type plug (ground connection).

Bssic stuff have been done and he now gets the data out. :) I will start a thread about the project itself

I have been tweaking the displays today. I now have exactly as I want it. The logging has also flagged up an issue with the 4048, which is that it was shutting the solar input down every few minutes. This was due to overheat, caused by dust which I have now cleaned out.

Again, many thanks to Daromer for his expertise :D

image_sszatq.jpg

The flat lines on the charge current graph are due to me deciding to put the washing machine on a 2hr26min self clean cycle, so it pulled 1.8KW directly from the solar PV, and the other 1KW from the batteries. Glaring sunshine, so it made perfect sense to really test it!

Well, after a short time away, and whilst trying to get the divorce finalised, it is time for a new project.
This time I will be building clusters of 14S40P, enclosed in a 19" rackmount case to give me 6KWH per unit.
The final aim will be to have 15 of these, as it will run my new home, which is a 70ftx12ft Dutch barge. This is going to be a bit different, as the propulsion will be full electric, coming from a pair of Lynch motors (configured to give 110NM of torque). This will completely replace the old diesel engine, which is 8ft long, 4ft wide and 4ft high. The motor is 2ft long, 1ft high and 1ft wide, and doesn't make any noticeable noise(especially compared to the tractor engine it's replacing.
Heating will be a water source heat pump through a titanium heat exchanger. This way, it will take a small amount of power to make a lot of hot water, and also run the space heating.
The Spec for this is that it is totally renewable powered, so it will have 6.6KW of Solar PV, a 1KW wind turbine and a 500W drag prop (the propulsion motor act as a generator when the tide goes in or out).

Total power calculations went as follows;
System voltage 48V (so from 44V.8 up to 57.4), to give a per cell voltage of 3.2V minimum up to 4.1V maximum. I could go to extremes, but I want this to last. Realistically, when the motor is running and pushing the barge along at 4mph, we only need about 6KWH, which on a sunny day, the solar will keep up with. For domestic use, we only need 10KWH a day, and most of the time, we will be moored at a pub somewhere :)
With a 40P pack, using Samsung 29E-7, I can unload at 330 amps (8.25A per cell), but, that is bad design, so I designed it and fused it at 5A per cell, to give a 200A maximum per 19" unit. Just one unit could supply the motor, but in the aim for longevity, I will have this well inside the 0.2C discharge characteristic that these cells seem to prefer. 15 units could put out 3000 Amps comfortably, but with the motor peak output at 26KW (@48V is 541 Amps), plus the load of the 8KW PIP4048 twin paralleled inverters (takes it to roughly 800 amps), it is still close enough to the 0.2C. Real world conditions would have the inverter averaging 420 watts per hour in a 24 hour period, so about 10 amps constant. The motor at running speed needs 6KW, which is 125 amps @ 48V.

Looks great! I am trying to understand the fuse idea, as you have one fuse going between each cell from the other strings negative bus bar correct? Yet, the fuses are what is carrying the current, thus if one fuse goes down, the others have to take up the slack, if a second goes down, even more so and that would compound if more then two went down in a string.

Plus, your stacks of three cells are no fused correct?

keaton85 said:
Looks great! I am trying to understand the fuse idea, as you have one fuse going between each cell from the other strings negative bus bar correct? Yet, the fuses are what is carrying the current, thus if one fuse goes down, the others have to take up the slack, if a second goes down, even more so and that would compound if more then two went down in a string.

Plus, your stacks of three cells are no fused correct?

This is true when fuses are used as a load safe guard. Fuses used at the cell level are to protect the pack from a bad cell. The fuses are rated for around 2-3A, usually. The cells generally will only see .5A or less in most builds. So if a fuse does blow, the raise in amps across the rest of the parallel connected cells won't make that big of a difference.

So the pack can only handle between 32-48amp and that is with all fuses on any one string intact. If one, two or three start going down, that will load up the other fuses. If a large enough load is applied, all fuses in one of the strings would blow and take down the whole pack.

I like the idea because of the use of the cell holders, which allows for easy install and replacement on the fly, yet the chance of total pack shutdown goes up with this design.

That's almost where you'd want to have resetable fuses (not ptc, but manual) or little breakers. Hmm, wonder how much tiny breakers would cost. Gotta look them up

Suppose these could be used
thermal circuit breaker

Altho, they are about $0.75 each

Can't wait to see some pics of this new build !!!

Back