Greetings from the cheese capital of the world!

marksanne

Hi all!

I'm Mark from the Netherlands aka Holland aka that super-tiny country with it's windmills, wooden shoes, tulips, Heineken and... cheese!
And I'm from the cheese capital of the world: Gouda! Also famous for the Stroopwafel biscuit.

Anyway... I've been reading and mainly watching many powerwall projects on Youtube and it got me hooked. In fact, I started to believe I wanted something like this myself, copying what others have done, combining the smartest ways to build these packs.

So I tried to collect some notebook battery-packs and gathered a few hand full, until a few days ago when... I HIT THE JACKPOT!!!

I've sourced over 600 Lenovo/Dell/HP batteries, of which the majority is even without defects!
These batteries were coming from several exchange projects where 'old' laptops were exchanged for new ones, wiped and stripped, neatly ready for recycling. Although part of that recycling will be done by yours truly :)

I've opened up around a 100 batteries now and the truly bad (0 or very low voltage) ones are extremely low, like 25 cells!
The rest is 2.8 volts or higher (the majority is showing 3.7V). Of course, that's only part of the story, now I need to get into the process of charging and discharging them all to find their actual capacity.

So that'll be my first steps: free all the cells from their plastic prison and then sort them on capacity.
The great thing is that these brands use quality cells and as said very few are defect, so the yield is huge!

I'll be on the forum to find out how to create a proper number of chargers/dischargers, because with the just the two 4-cell Opus BC3100 I'll be waiting for ages before I would be able to start creating packs!

My humble start before the mothership landed:

image_hdoxsj.jpg

I converted my old V6 TwinTurbo Galant gas-guzzler to a temporary Hybrid:

image_lochtl.jpg

Sorted all 600 batteries into 5 (very heavy) boxes:

image_ecsmfi.jpg

Here's the start of dismantling the first bunch (this was a set of random batteries from Toshiba, HP, Acer, which were different from the majority):

image_bitldq.jpg

Back