Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Red Sanyo 18650 Cells Getting Hot While Charging
(02-07-2019, 12:33 PM)Overmind Wrote: @Wolf I did not had a reliable way to do that. I was thinking of building my own device for IR measures, but then I got some Opuses so I guess that's a good start.

Yes at least you are aware or the implications of IR and that is good!! Smile
There are several 4 wire solutions out there I personally use the YR1030 it is relatively reasonable US~$50.00.
Cherry67 has a great write up on a DIY version.
I just purchased a Fluke 8842A 5.5 Count Digital Multimeter Bench Top DMM to be absolutely sure of all the readings I am getting.
This meter is one of the standards in accuracy so I am looking forward to using it.
With the OPUS I'm sure you know that the IR is horribly skewed and always at least 30mΩ high as per the manual and at least 10% to 20% off.

That can make a huge difference in how you sort and process cells.
At this time I am recording pretty much all cells to build an IR to capacity correlation database so I am testing cells with IR values that I would absolutely not use in my build. They would be in a lets see later bin but for the sake of the database I record them and after almost 1900 cells checked and recorded I am getting a good feel of what cells are good and which ones I should not even bother with. But again for the sake of the database I continue.

Happy cell hunting and get some way to measure true IR. Big Grin

Wolf

For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(02-07-2019, 12:58 PM)Overmind Wrote: @DCkiwi I think I could do it with 2 resistors,
[...]
Note: do excuse the paint job.

I like your paint job.  Better than my skills ...

Albeit Im not so sure what this has to do with the OP/thread.  I assume you are going down the IR rabbit hole?  You are on the right track, but Im not so sure this is the thread/place for this discussion.
--    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    --
I am an iSDT fanbois.  also a proud owner of two SC608AC's .. totally recommended.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(02-07-2019, 01:03 PM)DCkiwi Wrote: Albeit Im not so sure what this has to do with the OP/thread.  I assume you are going down the IR rabbit hole?  You are on the right track, but Im not so sure this is the thread/place for this discussion.

Agreed the IR rabbit hole it always comes down to that doesnt it?

OK I will quit.
I'm lying Big Grin
Wolf
LEDSchlucker and DCkiwi like this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Hello! I just found my first batch of 18650 sanyo red cells which didn't go above 50'c i always blamed the lii-500 charger for the hot cells because the underside of it got really hot aswell. The hottest cell i've had was a LGDB118650 which i forgot about for 15 minutes and when i came back they where around 60-70c from then on i put a 5v 120mm fan pointed at the batteries charging and discharging. I still got all my sanyo red 18650's so i might test them again. i even got a cell which is not in the database because of the teal insulator ring. if interested i can post a picture of that. someone even mentioned this cell in the forum's but the admin asked if he was sure it was a sanyo ur18650a and then he never responded again. Here a vid of me checking the temperature of the sanyo cells. The ones in the video are UR18650A white insulator ring and without a fan pointed at them. 
The cells are from 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_HZOYTfCVc Private youtube video link

These are not in the database i think. UR18650A Teal insulator ring
Uhm...anyone in the US market for some Sanyo red cells? I really don't want to sell these to anyone that does not know about their reputation.
Some sellers have no moral qualms about selling heaters... (https://www.batteryclearinghouse.com/col...-0-20-each) Pretty sure even Tom from BatteryHookup has sold heaters before, as long as they're clearly labeled as such, people will buy at their own risk.
1xAA likes this post
(10-07-2020, 10:47 PM)1xAA Wrote: anyone in the US market for some Sanyo red cells?

please post in the Marketplace and not here. You'll get more views/results that way.

Also make absolutely clear what they are as rev0 mentions.
1xAA likes this post
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Once a heater always a heater.
I really won't trust any cell that has exhibited any signs of "heating" whether Sanyo or otherwise.
There are plenty of other cell manufacturer cells that exhibit signs of being a "heater". 
Sanyo did shoot themselves in the foot and got a bad "rap" though when they decided to wrap all their cells in a red wrapper.
To be fair to Sanyo though,  I have experienced "heaters" from all manufactures, although ever since I started to measure IR as my first testing step I no longer have "heaters" as those cells never make it into the testing stage. So if you want to eliminate your heater issue check IR first if the cell is >100mΩ chances are you will have a cell that will exhibit heater qualities. The 100mΩ threshold is by no means a be all end all, there are some cells that will perform very well above that IR level, but very few.  

Wolf
rev0 likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool