Small off-grid system - does AS5033 apply?

UpLateGeek

I'm thinking of building a small off-grid system to run my computer and network gear, mostly as an interesting project rather than a cost-saving thing, but I'm worried about having to comply with AS5033(which could be difficult since I'm in a rental property!).

Basically I'd be looking at a couple of 150-200W panels (12v, so Voc around 45V total), MPPT charger for a24V battery system, and a few hundred watt inverter with a powerboard plugged in.

From everything I've read, since it's under 50V and 500W of panels, that would pretty much exempt it from the requirements of the standard, but since I haven't read it myself (and I'm not going to fork out hundreds of bucks for a few rollsof red tape!), I thought I should at least see if anyone had any advice before I start buying stuff for the project.

And yes, something something something disclaimer, something something somethingliability waiver. This is the Internet, I'm not asking for your eternal soul, just some advice. (And if that advice is to ask a professional, well thanks captain obvious! Do I look like I'm standing in a puddle of my own dribble?)

Wow
I didn't even know there would be a standard for this sort of thing. I work in the caravan industry and have been installing solar for years. Probably even gone over some of those limits
Your use is basically the same as mine I think. Keep the internet on when there's no power etc
Will need to keep on top of this Post

Ok, so, my first question is, What country is this in? Second is, If in the USA, what state is it?

Personally I haven't heard anything about restrictions on how much you can install personally. But, then again, I don't read all the legal jargon that the gov't puts out (much less be able to understand their double backwards legalease they use)

Complying with AS5033 is in the interests of everyone.

It is in particular for grid connected installations that have the potential to send lethal voltages back into the electricity network.

The standard specifically states that - "PV generators of less than 240W and less than 8A and less than 50V open circuit voltage at STC are NOT covered by this standard."

In the case of a small situation like yours that is completely seperate from the grid, I'd doubt if anyone would care.

But it's in your interest to do a safe installation & maybe get it checked out by a local sparky.

Cheers !

ruby2 said:

It is in particular for grid connected installations that have the potential to send lethal voltages back into the electricity network.

The standard specifically states that - "PV generators of less than 240W and less than 8A and less than 50V open circuit voltage at STC are NOT covered by this standard."

In the case of a small situation like yours that is completely seperate from the grid, I'd doubt if anyone would care.

But it's in your interest to do a safe installation & maybe get it checked out by a local sparky.

Cheers !

I agree. For non grid tie systems even if you exceeded the imposed limits (by a small margin), who is going to know? As ruby suggested, unless you are experienced working with 240v its worth having your work inspected.

Definitely for grid connect. If a grid feed does not switch off during a blackout, someone could get electrocuted working on lines that they thought were otherwise off.

floydR said:
Australia is the country in question I believe

later floyd

That is correct. AS (Australian Standard)

Geek said:
floydR said:

later floyd

That is correct. AS (Australian Standard)

UpLateGeek you have nothing to worry about. Small PV setups are fine. Nothing hardwired has to comply at all. I know what it is like in OZ, power quality sucks in rural areas. Still, BE SAFE. 240v is a nasty animal. So is high current DC.

ruby2 said:

Cheers !

Hmm... This would be over 240W and 8A, although not over 50V orconnected to the grid. In any case, I do plan on getting proper solar DC circuit breakers of appropriate ratings.

I guess I'll have to do some ringing around for a sparky

floydR said:

later floyd

Yep, where beer does flow and men chunder.

Geek said:
UpLateGeek you have nothing to worry about. Small PV setups are fine. Nothing hardwired has to comply at all. I know what it is like in OZ, power quality sucks in rural areas. Still, BE SAFE. 240v is a nasty animal. So is high current DC.

It's actually a pretty urban area, but I get full sun so I might as well use it!

And I don't plan on playing with any240V, but even a couple of panels is dangerous enough for me.

From what I found doing a quick google your exempt as it's not tied to the grid(that was my assumption from your initial post)

Thanks guys, you've given me the confidence to go ahead with the project. The only thing left to worry about is the landlord!

GDay Mate.
Think NZ standards are the same as Australia. Im a Reg sparky and my 18650 creation does exceed the 240w spec but if you build with adequate protection what an earth could possibly go wrong. lol.

I guess that if a fire accrued then you may find your insurance not valid. Something to think about.

https://shop.standards.govt.nz/catalog/5033:2014(AS|NZS)/scope. Plenty on the NZ electrical forum page. If you want a link ask me.

Sweet az.

Mark

MarkKennard said:
GDay Mate.
Think NZ standards are the same as Australia. Im a Reg sparky and my 18650 creation does exceed the 240w spec but if you build with adequate protection what an earth could possibly go wrong. lol.

I guess that if a fire accrued then you may find your insurance not valid. Something to think about.

https://shop.standards.govt.nz/catalog/5033:2014(AS|NZS)/scope. Plenty on the NZ electrical forum page. If you want a link ask me.

Sweet az.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, the standards are the same/common for both our countries.

The standards are what all electricians are trained on from the start and are the bible referred to every day, if required, to ensure any electrical installation complies with the rules.

There would be similar standards or wiring rules/codes in every country.

This diypowerwall craze is a potential can of worms - it's one thing to make up some lithium batteries by following a few youtube videos but it's an entirely different kettle of fish when trying to intergrate those batteries with an existing electrical installation.

I would like to think that the majority of people doing this type of work have a technical background of some sort and appreciate the risks involved.

It is critical to keep the powerwall mains seperate from the grid and to ensure your installation is checked out by a competent sparky.

The insurance aspect is also very important - if there is any doubt that the installation is dodgy, you know the result .....

I do hope that this "craze" doesn't result in an accident/fire/incident that causes the authorities to crack down on the "hobby".

Cheers !

Dave

Back