Soldering Iron Tip -- Need advice

Hi all,

My brand spanking new 300 watt soldering iron arrived yesterday, and man is it a beast. Probably longer than I really want.

image_rmxnit.jpg

I haven't tried it yet, but I know that I need to get/make a new tip. The tip that came with the iron is too wide for 18650 cells (it is about 22mm wide).

Any advice on what to use to make a new tip? Is mild steel ok? Pure copper rod? Lightninggrounding rod? Other?
It's 5/8" diameter (16.5mm) and about 6" long.

image_tomjjr.jpg

Thanks.
Eric

Pure copper works but it will wear out but its easy to switch :)

And if you have a source for pure nickel, you could nickel plate the copper to make it last longer. You can't use the nickel strips from the laptop packs as those are nickel plated steel. I tried to do electrolysis to plate my custom tips, didn't work out too well. I might try again later when I get some pure nickel

Wait, nickel strips from laptops packs aren't pure nickel?
I thought OEMs were better than that, especially for the prices people paying these packs.

OK, so I'm having a hell of a time finding any copper bar stock around where I live. Best I can do is have 12 feet specially ordered in! $250 to make a 6" soldering tip is a kind of a no-go.

However, there is a place that has brass rod of the right diameter. Is there any reason I shouldn't use brass? Would plain steel be better? I can get that easily.

Thanks.

brass would work. wouldnt corrode or deteriorate as fast.

image_zerlrn.jpg

I have a similar soldering iron, I was thinking of grinding the tip to the dimensions Needed. the soldering tip on mine is copper, I hope pure copper.
I haven't done anything to the tip just yet.
And yes the soldering iron is a beast size wise.

Later floyd

floydR said:
I have a similar soldering iron, I was thinking of grinding the tip to the dimensions Needed. the soldering tip on mine is copper, I hope pure copper.
I haven't done anything to the tip just yet.
And yes the soldering iron is a beast size wise.

Later floyd

image_lriuzd.jpg

I got almost exactly the same iron of eBay for $9. I figured even if it was no good, I could still use the tip. When I opened the parcel there was white powder all through it. Lucky I inspected it before use - the ceramic where the tip goes was shattered! After waiting more than a month to receive it, I had to try it anyway. So I plugged it in and let it get hot, and switched it off while soldering the cell. I will have to grind the tip into a more practical shape, but it works well.

More eBay fun, the seller offered me a $2 refund! The nerve.

I wonder, could you use a putty material to fill in where the ceramic was at? I don't know if they make a putty mix that is resistant to heat up to 500F or not.

Korishan said:
I wonder, could you use a putty material to fill in where the ceramic was at? I don't know if they make a putty mix that is resistant to heat up to 500F or not.

I don't know. This iron gets VERY hot. I guess around 1000f.The metal barrel glows red if you leave it on, need to put some kind of thermostat on it I think. Either that or some kind of button on it, as I have been able to regulate the temperature nicely, just turning it on and off.

Iron or steel, when heated to above 900 F (460 C), glows with a red color. The color of any heated object changes predictably (due to black body radiation) from dull red through orange and yellow to white, and can be a useful indicator of its temperature. - Wikipedia

Wow, that is getting hot if it's starting to glow. Definitely will melt solder at those temps ;)

Korishan said:

fire clay over 1000f or ceramic clays would work.

later floyd

floydR said:
Korishan said:

later floyd

Very interesting. I shall give this a shot, Ill let you know how it goes.

Geek said:
floydR said:
Korishan said:

later floyd

Very interesting. I shall give this a shot, Ill let you know how it goes.
If you do be sure to read on how to cure it, I think slowly drying it by plugging/unplugging the soldering iron raising the temp over the course of couple hours.
later floyd

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my experience you could nickel plate the copper to make it last longer. You can't use the nickel strips from the laptop packs as those are nickel plated steel.

pcb assembly

JardCrocker said:
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my experience you could nickel plate the copper to make it last longer. You can't use the nickel strips from the laptop packs as those are nickel plated steel.

Hrmmm, I think I said this almost word for word in post #3 of this thread :rolleyes:

Back