FAQ Suggestions

Korishan

Administrator
After having read the MainFAQ page, if there is anything that isn't covered there, please put your questions, suggestions, comments here.

Inverters
Maybe a list of the different types: grid tie, hybrid etc. With a description of each type.

Sounds good. Will just get basic information to enter in. Won't go into details between Pip and Output, etc, etc.

Reactions: Rad
I think one thing is to describe the common types or wording. I know that not everyone agree on this but there is a generaly saying atleast around my area that is used.
Below was just something i had around. Not explanatory enough i would say but perhaps a start.

There are 3 base line systems as of today even though there is more and more hybrid versions comming out.
The most common names of them are listed below. All inverters have a specific criteria for it to be running.

Grid Tie
This inverter relies on the grid. Since the inverter in most cases only is hooked up between grid and solar the system need the grid to be online for it to do any work. If grid fails the system will shut down and stop generating anything. With that said you cannot use this type of inverter to feed your house unless the grid is hooked up and there is incomming power.

The whole idea with a grid tie inverter is that during the day you use the energy that is available from the solar and the surplus gets delivered back to the grid. In some places this pays decent money in others hardly nothing.

There is protection built in to them in form that if the grid goes down it will stop producing electricity to protect the device including the grid.

Off grid
This is one of the most common inverters out there and as the name implies this type of inverter is ment for people being off grid.

To be able to run a solar inverter you need a energy storage. You cant rely that solar is 100% all the time and on the grid-tie you use the Grid. Off grid system uses a battery bank.

Off grid inverter do have its own load output and this one cannot be tied to the grid but must be on its own circuits. The load output can either have its source from the grid, from battery, from solar or a combination of 2 or 3 of above.

Off grid inverters with AC input generally also consist of a battery charger that can charge up the battery bank if there is no sun and you need to get it up.

Hybrid inverter
As the name implies this is generally a combination of above 2 systems where you have the functionallity to be able to run and have a battery bank but at the same time have the abillity to sell the excess to the grid.

A hybrid inverter can run without grid or run without the battery bank attached in most cases. its the most advanced system where some of them even can deliver a combination of all 3 sources to the loud output.

Many of them have a central pool of energy that it takes or sends out energy to the other sources

Common setup
Grid tie
Solar -> Grid

Off grid
Solar -> Battery -> load out
and/or
Grid -> battery -> load out
or
grid -> load out as bypass

Hybrid
Solar -> energy pool <-> Battery bank
<-> Grid
-> load out

It may also be worth adding that some inverters have a "limiter" function, where a CT clamp is placed between the system and the grid meter so that the inverter can ramp down its output to generate just enough power for local consumption without exporting any. This is mainly for use in regions where feeding into the grid is not permitted.

Good job Korishan, that looks good :)
I just couldn't find the time to do this. Will happily continue to contribute to the expansion of the FAQ though if more topics come up and if I can find some time!

Watts-on Yes that need to be added. So called 0-meter in some places. Where you potentially can have it hooked in without exporting.

Still its a question if its allowed. Should be added too

Thanks guys. I'll update that post when I get back home this afternoon. Great thanks to daromer for doing the terminology leg work for me on the inverters. ;) You could explain it a lot better than I could have. Much appreciated.

Its far from good. But i just started the discussion about it. If i get time il read it through again and try to do it better.

First of all, very good work Korishan....

Maybe something to add is something about correctfusing... when, why and how.

- cell level fuses (wire,glass)
- main fuses (at string level, at inverter, )
- shunt trip breakers

a simple diagram/drawing would also be usefull ( in paint 3d... i know you can do that ;) )

Yeah, there was a glitch. Waiting to see if mike can pull it from the backups. If not, I'll have to rebuild it. I have a copy from the google cache saved on my system. So it is saved.

No worries, most of the content is also still on the original FAQ thread :) I was just wondering where it went because I wanted to point someone to it :D

If mike doesn't have it back up by Sat, I'll be recreating it. He's been busy with some revamping work, so I haven't nagged him about it :p

Your the man Mike...

mike said:
Korishan said:
If mike doesn't have it back up by Sat, I'll be recreating it. He's been busy with some revamping work, so I haven't nagged him about it :p

Right, forgot about that. Standby...

LOL that explains a lot :p

mike said:
Good to go. Restored to Dec 4th, the day before you PMed me.

SWEET!!!! Thanks! :D :D :D :thumbs up emoji!:

You are doing a good job there Korishan... (and others) :)

Something about BMS'ses could be helpfull to add.

- Why a bms is needed
- how to connect
- Types of bms (active-passive)
- Battery monitoring or/and managing systems

Back