What can you do with SunnyboyTie inverters for Off-Grid?

not2bme

I got my hands on two Sunnyboy inverters SB4000US, but seeing as I'm not planning to grid-tie anytime soon I'm looking to get rid of them unless there's a way to turn them into off-grid inverters. I've been looking but I can't see anything on them as other than being a giant paperweight. Anyone have any ideas?

A thought, theory, idea. Take a Pure Sine wave UPS (or maybe an inverter), doesn't have to be a big one, and connect it to a set of batteries. Then connect your SonnyBoy's into it. Configure them to give 100% output when needed and see if that works.
The UPS will create the needed voltage, wave, and signals needed for the SonnyBoy to operate.
Honestly, I don't know if it will or not, but worth a shot.

I think the same line that tells it to power on is the same line that it feeds back into the 'grid'. I don't think my inverter will like it when it suddenly starts receiving current from the SunnyBoy. I couldn't find anything on the internet that can make use of it as a standalone inverter. Too bad because the thing is built like a beast.

You will destroy ur inverter or ups or both. It wont work like that.

That's why I started off with theory ;) I wasn't 100% sure myself. It just sounded good, in theory.

You cannot backfeed into any inverter without killing them. They need to be synced together. It have been up in several threads here and on FB.

It is doable.. But you need to beware of the work involved and several changes need to be done. Its not even something I would take on to do :)

not2bme said:
I got my hands on two Sunnyboy inverters SB4000US, but seeing as I'm not planning to grid-tie anytime soon I'm looking to get rid of them unless there's a way to turn them into off-grid inverters. I've been looking but I can't see anything on them as other than being a giant paperweight. Anyone have any ideas?

The SMA series of inverters are excellent, quality, German built equipment.

They will work perfectly with the complimentary SMA Sunny Island inverter/charger to power your batteries.

If you can afford it, have a look out for a secondhand Sunny Island & that's all you'll need. Unfortunately they are fairly expensive new but are an excellent piece of kit.

I use them in my system and am very impressed.

Cheers,

Dave

Back