Moded Bios, Power & clock speeds

image_jkmulm.jpg

image_tcaewm.jpg

image_iflgiy.jpg

image_oouspb.jpg

image_jejlbg.jpg

Now powered by my 'powerwall'

image_bpgujv.jpg

Mike, this is a very nice build - I think I need to get an open air rack and rebuild my gaming machine into a mining machine. Who has time to play games anymore ?????
Love your thinking process about the new you tube channel.
Very smart man!!!!!
Happy holidays to you and the family!
Howie

@howie, that's Pete's mining rig ;)

And yes, nice setup

The RX480's are so expensive. Been looking for a second just to use in my computer in crossfire and they're nearly $100 more than what i paid for my first one 8 months ago. Have a link to where you got yours?

Why don't you guys just buy ASIC miners? They're so much more powerful and consume less power.

Oderus420 said:
Why don't you guys just buy ASIC miners? They're so much more powerful and consume less power.

We aren't mining Bitcoin. We're mining ETC/ETH, which can only be done with GPUs. ASICs don't exist for those algorithms. They are designed specifically so that ASICs can't (at least not easily) be built for them.

Oderus420 said:

Hi. Well, for me, ASIC's make sense for bitcoin (and based on my research, is the only way to go for that), but they don't work for other coins like ETH, which I'm focusing on.

mike said:
Oderus420 said:

We aren't mining Bitcoin. We're mining ETC/ETH, which can only be done with GPUs. ASICs don't exist for those algorithms. They are designed specifically so that ASICs can't (at least not easily) be built for them.

That's unfortunate considering how much more powerful ASIC's are compared to CPU's/GPU's. I was considering getting a single ASIC for mining Bitcoin based on the efficiency alone but I'm not really attached to crypto-currencies.

Oderus420 said:
mike said:
Oderus420 said:

That's unfortunate considering how much more powerful ASIC's are compared to CPU's/GPU's. I was considering getting a single ASIC for mining Bitcoin based on the efficiency alone but I'm not really attached to crypto-currencies.

It's not cost effective really. You're going to be paying thousands on eBay for a newer one. You can get an older one and maybe you have free power and will generate a few dollars per month, but aside from that, it's going to take you a year to recoup costs of an ASIC. The other thing is once the difficulty rises and new ASICs come out, you have a hunk of junk that nobody wants because it only does one thing - mine bitcoin slowly unprofitably. At least when you invest in GPUs, they pay off in 2-4 months and when you're done with them, they still have great hardware value. Powerful GPUs will always have value.

I read that you can get one for $1700 and then it'll generate $400-500 per month, including the cost of electricity. Which I could find that article. I'll post it if I ever do.

The asic miners for bitcoin and litecoin are sold out for this batch. You will have to buy one in advance for the next batch and they only accept bitcoin as payment. You can use a profitability calculator to get an idea of your profit and roi but as the difficulty level increases the profit goes down. If you are going to mine for bitcoin or litecoin then an asic is the only way to go but there are several other cryptos to chose from where gpus make more sense

That one doesn't count, it's actual auction :p

With 8 days left

Antminer S7 generally goes for around 2000USD
If we just roughly calculate on S7 you can make around 270USD per month on current bitcoin value. Then you add cost for PSU, electricity and eventual fee for the pool.

If you have solar electricity that may be free but dont forget the cost for building the solar system. People I know here calculate earning of around 100-150USD/month on an Antminer S7 with included electricity cost. S9 is generally better as I have heard.

Ive considered building a gpu rig since my electric rate is so cheap but not sure if its worth it in the end. It might make more sense to just trade it. I made $2000 in one weekend on bitcoin a couple of weeks ago as a test but I was a nervous wreck.

AZ_Tekkie said:
The RX480's are so expensive. Been looking for a second just to use in my computer in crossfire and they're nearly $100 more than what i paid for my first one 8 months ago. Have a link to where you got yours?
Mine were Amazon fromhttp://amzn.to/2EkvD0q price is still the same, but in Brisbane there is a bunch of wholesalers that'll sell you them for around the 400-500 mark
Oderus420 said:

Been there, didn't make much lol

Back