DC-DC Mining rig - will it work?

hbpowerwall

Administrator
So the plan is to take my 4 card rig off my inverters and run directly from DC I understand the inefficiencies of using dc to dc will probably exceed the losses of using my inverters. But that load on the inverters will shorten their lifespan for sure.

I already have a24pin Pico 160w12v adaptor for a computer motherboard, and happy with other than quite a bit of heat from PCB from constant use. I think this could be overcome by upgrading the cables on it.

image_gpnfnm.jpg

The pico will take care of the 12/5/3.3 v rails - video cards and risers will (in theory) be powered by720w 60a DC-CD convertermight have to run two for a larger rig but 3-4 cards might just scrape it in if the 'specs' are accurate.

image_aoaahv.jpg

Can anyone see any flaws in my plan?

Yeah, the guying putting it all together :p We all saw the clip where you dropped the wire onto a bare contact on the batteries. SPARK!!! Wonder how many cards will get zapped in the process LOL

I think it'll work. The mobo definitely needs the 3.3 and 5v rails for sure. But I'm wondering about the DC-DC conversion. Isn't the higher the difference between input-output, the higher the inefficiencies?
What I was thinking, is that you take leads from your packs and make smaller 4s connections and use a DC-DC from ~15-16V to 12V. That would lower the inefficiency, I would think.

Granted, I know that'll leave 2 packs out of the setup, but you have Batrium keeping balance. Maybe the last 2 packs could be used for running lights or something to help keep them in check. Or the fans, perhaps.
Now, the power supplies would be isolated, so each PSU could be used for a different rig. You wouldn't be able to connect them to the same rig, as then they'd be sharing ground and bad things could happen.

Just a thought :)

image_isbisx.jpg

Yeah, ATX power supplies are stupid expensive for some odd reason. Especially with higher wattage. And if you go DC input, WAY expensive. stupid crazy

your idea with the batteries won't work as i think the batteries will flatten rather fast. I think I might just grab one and test - I have a bunch of old R9 290/280 cards that draw 200w each so three would be a great test..

I will definitely have to use liberal amounts of heat shrink and insulation on all bare wires contacts to stop sparkie-sparkie from happening again.

LOL lots and lots of shrink wrap :p You better go with triple insulation to make sure you dont make accidental sparks ;)

sounds like a good plan - it doesn't work if you blow shit up lol

Back