Second Life Storage Rebranding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBatteries

Administrator
With the server upgrade complete, we are ready to move on to the next latest and greatest update - rebranding. Over the next few days, you will notice the forum branding changing from "DIY Powerwalls" to "Second Life Storage". Once complete, the forum will be accessible through both secondlifestorage.com and secondlifestorage.com with secondlifestorage.com being the primary URL. The old domain, and all posted old links, will continue to work without issue.

You shouldn't notice any issues, aside from when the domains are swapped, it will take a few minutes to reconfigure a couple of things.

Once the rebranding is complete, the 3rd and final change will be the addition of secure URLs site-wide (https).

Moving forward and improving!

I like it! :)

Don't you think there is something missing? Second Life Storage sounds like a shop that sells 2nd hand IT hardware. Or old cardboard boxes :D

DarkRaven said:
Don't you think there is something missing? Second Life Storage sounds like a shop that sells 2nd hand IT hardware. Or old cardboard boxes :D

In the same regard, "DIY Powerwalls" sounds like someone building a wall comprised of power. Of course, we know you can't build a wall out of purely electronics and that most of us are building "bricks" with our batteries, not an actual wall.

With the difference that "Powerwall" is a defined term while "Storage" isn't. I mean, I don't really care about the name. I just think it was an unfortunate choice.

DarkRaven said:
With the difference that "Powerwall" is a defined term while "Storage" isn't. I mean, I don't really care about the name. I just think it was an unfortunate choice.

Defined by whom? Google wasn't a word 20 years ago and now it's a verb people use daily.

Second Life Storage to me means some form of storage for something that died already once. It works in this context for sure but the acronym SLS overlaps with the Space Launch System from NASA. :D

I'm no visionary so I have no idea how this name will work out going forward but it works for me.

By Tesla. And Storage or Second Life Storage is just a word or a collection of words that are used in other contexts for ages. So what you are saying it totally correct, but it has happened already. A bit more precision would have been nice I think. I have also thought about the acronym, but oh well, what can you do. SLS is also Stefans Lipo Shop, the number 1 choice for high end RC LiPos in Germany. And it's a car. Actually it's two cars. And lots of other stuff! :)

Second Life Energy Storage seems much more fitting if you ask me. And yes, SLES is also already used! :)

I like https bring added I use the consumer vesion of SLES the first linux I ever used. SUSE
later floyd

Had to update my ad-blocker, LOL. It was set to allow ads from diypowerwalls, but not secondlifestorage. Gotta make sure to support the websites that we value! :)

Blocking ads is a necessary self defense, no exception. I don't recommend disabling your adblock on any site for any reason. It's a matter of your security and not about supporting a site you like, which would be fine of course.

DarkRaven said:
Blocking ads is a necessary self defense, no exception. I don't recommend disabling your adblock on any site for any reason. It's a matter of your security and not about supporting a site you like, which would be fine of course.

It absolutely IS about supporting the sites you like. I keep mine disabled and am very glad to hear others are doing the same. If you are blocking them because you find them to be too intrusive, we always welcome input on how we can better place them so they do not interfere.

I'm blocking all ads because I don't trust the sources they are coming from. Ads are usually supplied by 3rd party ad networks and they are usually crap. There have been numerous incidents of malware that was distributed through ad networks. This is totally unacceptable. It's not your fault or the fault of any site owner.
The only way around this is choosing the ads by hand and integrate them manually but hardly anyone does that these days. And even if, some day this changes without notification and we have the same situation.

If anyone thinks that it's worth to take that kind of risk to support any site through this, then this is probably a case of lack of information or a misunderstanding. It's never worth it, you should never do this. By doing that you are actively increasing the exposure of your system. It's bad for you, your data, and everybody else. Security is #1, then there is the usual advertising crap with tracking cookies, data collection and sale and so on. We don't even have to talk about it, it became pointless when blocking ads made the transition from privacy to security.

I only use YouTube ADblock because I hate it when people will put 3-4 ads in a 10 min video. I also only have that installed on 1 browser so I can still watch Pete and Daromer's videos using other browsers.

Security maybe #1 to some but the reality is the only real security is not being on the internet at all. It's like crossing the street, the only safe way of doing it is to not do it.

Even I have to agree adblockers are a requirement sometimes :)

Oderus420 said:
Security maybe #1 to some but the reality is the only real security is not being on the internet at all. It's like crossing the street, the only safe way of doing it is to not do it.

It's not like that at all. To use your example, disabling your adblocker is like crossing the street while wearing a blindfold and earmuffs, so you can't see and hear a thing. It might work, probably even for quite some time, depending on the street you want to cross. But at some point you will get hit by a car. And after you have given a shock to the driver hitting you and having your watch and wallet stolen at the hospital you don't come to the conclusion that crossing the street is dangerous and you better not do that anymore. You just take the bloody blindfold and earmuffs off.

DarkRaven said:
Oderus420 said:

It's not like that at all. To use your example, disabling your adblocker is like crossing the street while wearing a blindfold and earmuffs, so you can't see and hear a thing. It might work, probably even for quite some time, depending on the street you want to cross. But at some point you will get hit by a car. And after you have given a shock to the driver hitting you and having your watch and wallet stolen at the hospital you don't come to the conclusion that crossing the street is dangerous and you better not do that anymore. You just take the bloody blindfold and earmuffs off.

Ok. Your solution is to never cross the street while still wearing a blindfold and earmuffs. How's that working for you? Someone can still drive into you, someone can mug you and something can fall from above you, all while standing on the sidewalk.

Risk is everywhere. I don't allow ads from unknown sites and I do allow from YouTube for certain channels I trust. I accept the risk. If you can't, then I'm not sure what you could possibly do that's fun, while not having risk involved.

How can you trust your adblocker? How can you trust your OS? Your SSL provider? Maybe Russian spies are using your adblockerto subvert the West. :D

Ok, enough said. This is WAY off topic from the original thread.

Point is, some people choose to use adblockers, some choose not to. That's that, and that's it.

Korishan said:
Ok, enough said. This is WAY off topic from the original thread.

Point is, some people choose to use adblockers, some choose not to. That's that, and that's it.

How poetic. :angel:

So none of you heard of the online game "Secondlife" and related mountain of 3rd party websites ?
Well I have, and wondered what the hell was going on when the domain re-directed.

Nice way to make the site far harder to search for. Thanks for the complete lack of advanced warning, or video announcements from Pete.
IMHO, this is a really bad choice of domain name, I think your crazy Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back