Category Reorganization

TheBatteries

Administrator
As we continue to grow, it's becoming clear that we need to come up with a better organizational structure than what we have now. The way the categories are currently structured, it's difficult to tell where threads should go, some threads fit in multiple areas, and you have some forums getting large like the batteries section with 820+ threads. This has been mentioned by numerous people already, so it's time it be addressed.

I would like to propose the following organizational structure and am looking for your feedback. In particular, please take a moment to look at some of the existing threads and see if it's clear which section they belong in. I feel like the structure is decent but the names could use some improvement, just not sure where to go with it.

The youtube/marketplace sections will continue to exist as-is.

DIY Battery Project Builds - One thread per project, does not have to be a powerwall, any project qualifies. No changes would be made to what we have now for this section.
Cell Testing & Discussions - Anything relating to cell testing, including test chargers like imax, opus, etc. The Cell Database will continue to be a subforum in here. Also includes cell discussions/questions, harvesting, etc - anything at the cell level.
Battery Pack Design - Anything relating to the battery pack level of the project. This includes things like which busbar sizes, how many cells per pack, pack mounting, cell fuses, etc
BMS (Battery Management Systems) - Self explanatory. No changes would be made to what we have now for this section.
Solar Panels, Controllers, and Inverters - Anything relating to panels, chargers, inverters, etc.
General Electronics - Anything that doesn't fit in the categories above. Includes things like which circuit breakers/fuses to use, tools, etc

Maybe a good idea to have some subsectionsin theDIY battery project builds somethinglike this

- Home-solar battery (the powerwalls)
- Portable battery systems
- E-bike battery
- Small projects

wim said:
Maybe a good idea to have some subsectionsin theDIY battery project builds somethinglike this

- Home-solar battery (the powerwalls)
- Portable battery systems
- E-bike battery
- Small projects

i like thesesub categorysuggestions as well. if we're going to reorganize, might as well make the battery category more specific like this. otherwise, it might need another reorganizing later on when it gets flooded with more entries.

Not sure if it been discussed yet in the marketplace section, but i was wondering if there was a timeframe for leaving Closed/Sold threads or if they "automatically" remove after a certain time.

I don't see a reason right now to break the categories down any further. Most battery packs are built the same way. For example, if someone wants to ask "3s or 4s for 12v", would that go in "portable battery systems" since they are building a portable battery? Then a week later someone building a home battery has the same question and asks in the "home-solar battery" section?

If it becomes overpopulated again, I'm thinking we would break it down to specific components like "Battery Mounting", "Busbars", "Cell Fuses", etc. I'm hesitant to do that yet and end up with several sections that only have a small number of threads each. You don't want to spread it out too far.

mike said:
I don't see a reason right now to break the categories down any further. Most battery packs are built the same way. For example, if someone wants to ask "3s or 4s for 12v"....

No no Mike, you got it wrong ... this belongs in the "Battery pack design" section... ;)

You are right, too many sub sections are no good, it justkind of "feels" right to have the "real powerwall" builds in a different section...
just a suggestion of course.

Great idea. I also think it would be good to have a section for 'Newbies' where people could ask questions, and not have to worry about repeating someone else's question.

It often comes up where someone repeatsa question, and it is suggested that they should have searched for the answer. However this can be difficult if you are unfamiliar, and not quite sure what you are looking for.

This would really help de-clutter the other categories.

edit: Also a section for reviews would be good too.

There are some things that might not warrant being put in the FAQ (can't think of any off hand atm, too tired). But it would help Newbies be able to filter through questions/answers rather quickly.
Perhaps, in the Newbie section, this is where the FAQ would be listed in a Thread-Per-Question style instead of 1 Thread with all of them listed. It would help declutter and organize the FAQ as well. And mike, or me, wouldn't need figure out a new format and how to implement it into the forum (like the other special web pages listed) ;)

Can you have a points system where newbies can't post anywhere but the Newbie section? Once they get a couple of points, they can post in the other areas.

LOL This could work. However, we already have to approve newbie posts to begin with. This is primarily to cut out spammers, but it also effects the newbies, too.

But, the point system "might" work. But I think in the end, it might drive some of them away.

Well having to approve newbie posts is likely better than any points system so that's good. :)

Oderus420 said:
Can you have a points system where newbies can't post anywhere but the Newbie section? Once they get a couple of points, they can post in the other areas.

New members are already required to have their first post approved by a moderator before it will appear on the site. It doesn't help reduce questions that have been asked 50 times but does help reduce spam, advertisements, and just regular junk posts.

Korishan said:
LOL This could work. However, we already have to approve newbie posts to begin with. This is primarily to cut out spammers, but it also effects the newbies, too.

But, the point system "might" work. But I think in the end, it might drive some of them away.

Most newcomers will use the 'newbie' section. If not, posts could always be moved. It's a good way to be inviting to newcomers.

I agree with Korishan, it is best to be as inviting as possible to newcomers.

Even if a newcomer reads the FAQ, they will probably have more questions than answers. That is always the way with learning something new.

Back