Modular 18650 packs

rtgunner

View attachment 6

Howdy Folks...

I am thinking about the idea of making modular and expandable 18650 power wall system that uses modular packs that are small enough to be easily serviced (replacing dead cells etc) and also small enough to be light and I would think more safe should a cell short etc. I've attached a pic of a 5p4s pack that I was making for replacing a battery in a portable car battery jump pack but then thought about the idea of "modularizing" the packs for power wall use...

Just thinking out loud... after all we share one mind LOL...

would love feedback and ideas on this...

Doug
image_evuvgl.jpg

Many users have gone this way - check out Owitte's build.I am most surely going to go that way myself.

Geek said:
Many users have gone this way - check out Owitte's build.I am most surely going to go that way myself.

MAny Thanks... I haven't had time to read all the posts/threads... That's awesome!

I considered designing my storage bank like this at first. The main problem faced is balancing. It's great to be able to just plug in a small pack and add capacity, but you need some sort of BMS on every single pack and the more unique "p" configurations you have, the more BMS components you will need.

mike said:
I considered designing my storage bank like this at first. The main problem faced is balancing. It's great to be able to just plug in a small pack and add capacity, but you need some sort of BMS on every single pack and the more unique "p" configurations you have, the more BMS components you will need.

Oliver beats this by putting all parallel packs on one bus. I guess you would have to be cautious that a pack was exactly the right voltage before you added it to that bus. His system is quite intuitive. He has successfully built a system without a BMS. Although he covers all the functions of one. It is a project I follow closely.

Back