MPPT help

cristof

Hi All,
I need your help about MPPT input. (Sory for my english)

I have a new hybrid inverter : MPP SOLAR - MPI 5,5KW with 2 MPPT input (3000W/500V DC per input). One will be for solar panel (not install yet), and second one for my Pelton hydro generator. This generator is a permanant magnet alternator, 3 phases output (0 to 350 volt according to the RPM).
I use a bridge rectifier to convert AC to DC. this turbine is able to provide 300W DC today (Only 1 liter/second). If I connect the turbine to a 300W light bulbe, voltage is 250V DC, and Amps is 1,2A DC (250 x 1,2 = 300W). Those are true values, mesuring simultaneous with 2 multimeters. So I am sure to be able to produce 300W.
But when I connect it to my hybrid inverter the software show only around 100W in MPPT input. in this case the turbine voltage increase to 320V (as if the load was only 100W).

Many people who run small hydro as mine, used MPPT solar controler without any probleme. (morningstar, midnight...)
I do not have any capacitor after rectifier for "filtering". May be I could had a few 470uf/450V capacitor.
Does anybody know why the MPPT input does not take the full power ?
a quick drawing about how I did the test:

image_mruaji.jpg

Did you check the min.starting mppt voltage settings in the software? in your case it has to be as low as possible.

wim said:
Did you check the min.starting mppt voltage settings in the software? in your case it has to be as low as possible.

I WIM,
Thanks for your reply, yes the minimum MPPT input voltage is set to 120V . it's the minimum. I cant go lower (max is 450V)

Strange... the only thing i can think of is the missing capacitator on the dc output of the rectifier.
It is possible the mppt gets confused if it gets not a real DC voltage, but a rectified AC voltage... ( it still go's from 0v to 300v)
The mppt takes the middle of the min and max voltage... Depends on the speed of the mppt i guess.
So, try the capacitators...

Can be that the software cant handle the type of input from the hydro? though I have no knowledge in hydro or how that work with MPPT

For people with MPP Solar MPI serie,
I have a question about one parameter in "device control" => "Parameter setting"
what is this parameter :" Max feed in grid power " ?
I understand this is the maximum power we can feed to the grid.
But how to change it ? if I want to change it, a Factory password is requested, but it's not "administrator"
Do you know what is the factory password ?
Merci.

Its the setting defining the machine hw. Kind of same software in several versions so why do you want to change that? The password is a factory password as I understand it. The factory password can be found from the dealer that sold you the device but they hardly give that out unless you need to change it due to issues.

Its also important that changing those settings void the warranty on the device unless its done by the re seller.

daromer said:
Its the setting defining the machine hw. Kind of same software in several versions so why do you want to change that? The password is a factory password as I understand it. The factory password can be found from the dealer that sold you the device but they hardly give that out unless you need to change it due to issues.

Its also important that changing those settings void the warranty on the device unless its done by the re seller.

I just wonder if this parameter is the maximum power I can feed to the grid. If I want to sell extra power to electric compagny does it mean that I can sell only 100Wh

image_ztehyg.jpg

i do use a hybrid, but i d'ont have this setting... probably becouse i do not feed back into the grid (i have it disabeld)
But maybe i see it wrong, but on the screenshot you are logged in as a guest... you have to log in as administrator to change any setting.

If it is a factory setting, d'ont change it without instructions of your seller.

Wim: Special password to change that setting. Different than all other settings.

In my system its set to 10 000W. Its based on country you live in if im not mistaken so talk to the seller because that number states that you max can export 100w to grid. Looks very very weird.'

And its W not Wh ;)

Hi,
I had news this morning from MPP Solar support.
This parameter need factory password from the software, but it can be change from the inverter keyboard front panel without password...
now I have set it to 5.5kw.
Now the softwareMPPT input power show around 400W (it's the maximum today from the hydro turbine)
it does mean that the MPP input accept the power from my hydro turbine.

Ahh cool! Thats interesting to know. Did they answer why your unit was so low set?

daromer said:
Ahh cool! Thats interesting to know. Did they answer why your unit was so low set?

Nothing !!!!!
only, "please sir, change the setting from front keyboard" :angel:

but it's not the end...
Mppt is working for battery charging, for load supply, but not for "feed into the grid"
and If I try "grid Tie" (no charging), the unit does not start and stay "standby"

Not sure I follow but it will/should only feed to grid when battery is full or no where else to push the feed. But feel free to take screenshots over your current configuration. Both detail and overview

daromer said:
Not sure I follow but it will/should only feed to grid when battery is full or no where else to push the feed. But feel free to take screenshots over your current configuration. Both detail and overview

Hi Daromer, the doc say :
"Grid tie with backup (1) :pV power will charge battery first, then provide power to the load. If there is any remaining power left, it will feed-in to the grid"

so if I understand well, if battery if full charged, and if there is no load, all PV power will be feed to the grid

If you have all parameters set yes it should. Not 100% sure of all settings there.

Back