12v 60 ah LiFe Camping Battery

Wattsup

I'm setting up this 60 ah LiFe pack, which will be used as a portable camping battery but I have a few questions.

Will be20 amp max draw. Using a 30 amp bms

These packs come compressed betweenaluminium plates and stainless straps. Thinking i'll remove this and heat shrink cells together to reduce weight.

When camping I will probably charge with 100 watt panel I already have.

I want to get a 240v wall charger for it also.

Q1. The bms I'm using has the through holes for soldering to. I was only able to fit 14 AWG wire through for negative.
Will this be enough seeing cable is only 30cm long? Or should I try and use 12 or 10 AWG.
Positive is 12 AWG with 20 amp fuse.

Q2.Cell specs say 1C maximum charging per cell, so think i'll get a 20 amp charger due to cable size. Will this be ok with cable size and length?

Q3. The bms has B- for negative to battery. Then P- and N- I have P- for charging and discharging currently butwould like seperate ports for charge/ discharge.
The question is, does it matter which one you assign to charge and discharge?

Q4.Could something like this work witha laptop charger for input?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263051962806

Thanks in advance

Photos

image_xpedcq.jpg

image_iwehtp.jpg

image_dobgrp.jpg

The only way to know for certain if P- and N- are interchangable is to follow the traces. If they connect before going through any circuitry, then yes, they can be used either/or without issues.

Can't tell from the pic, but how big are the holes? Are they large enough for bolts? Or, if you are worried about wire sizes and amp draw, you could split the wire in half and solder 1 half on top and the other half on the bottom (this is, assuming, the solder pad is on both sides of the board at that spot)

What would you be using it for to draw 20A continuous with? That's a lot of juice for a bms that size. And being it looks like a cheapo, I'd be leary about dumping 20A across it quite often and for long periods of time (long time, being > 2-5 minutes)

A1 I use and solder on the pad and then no need to work with the hole.

A2 yes it should work. You can use any RC charger for it if you want and bypass the BMS or just use and 20A power supply with correct voltage out.

A3
You cannot mix charge and discharge ports no. If you do that you get an strange function where you discharge to much it shuts down the load port and when charging to much the charge port gets disconnecgted. Imaging you put them the other way around :)

So when you are low and want to charge the charge port is shut off :p Or when you have charged it up you want to discharge it and the load port is shut off.

A4, Yes it works but looks way to complicated to me but yes it works.

Thanks for the replies. Appreciated :)

Korishan, I say 20 amp as a max limit, will probably never really reach that. Will be more likely below 10 amps.
It's mainly to run a camping fridge and some lighting, maybe a radio.

Hey guys

I've ordered a 20 amp LiFe charger from Ali.

Until that gets here i rigged up this charger with an old Toshiba laptop charger and ISDT Q6.

It says it's rated to 19v 6.3 amp dc.
Should it be ok to run at 6 amp continuous, I'm assuming so but thought I'd hear your thoughts

image_dwqoec.jpg

image_lsomuc.jpg

It should be ok. Just keep an eye, or a finger, on it just in case it gets really warm. Remember, those things are on the recall notice every so often for causing fires.

Back