Front hub vs rear hub?

Wattsup

Would like to hear from anyone with experience with either option.

I currently have a mid drive which is good but only 36 volt250 watt, which is street legal where I live.

I plan to build my next bike 48v 1000 watt.

Looking at this kit at the moment.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/322440778491

Rear hub seems to make more sense for better traction on gravel tracks etc. Although front hub would probably be easier I'd imagine.

Have you considered going 2WD? Get 2 hub motors, 500W each vs 1 @ 1000W and then you'll have twice the traction.

Oderus420 said:
Have you considered going 2WD? Get 2 hub motors, 500W each vs 1 @ 1000W and then you'll have twice the traction.

Yes I have.It would be awesome. Micah from ebikeschool.com hasa vid where he's made one.

Traction would be amazing. You could have a thumb throttle on each bar. Good weight distribution as well.

The beauty of the hub motors are they are pretty cheap. I have lots of highdrain cells to play with.

Could use 25R, 30Q, HG2, HE4,VTC6 and a couple other options :)i'll get to that once I start the build.

Wattsup said:
Oderus420 said:

Yes I have.It would be awesome. Micah from ebikeschool.com hasa vid where he's made one.

Traction would be amazing. You could have a thumb throttle on each bar. Good weight distribution as well.

The beauty of the hub motors are they are pretty cheap. I have lots of highdrain cells to play with.

Could use 25R, 30Q, HG2, HE4,VTC6 and a couple other options :)i'll get to that once I start the build.

I would link both motors to the same thumb throttle so you'd always be using both motors equally.

I've seen some bikes that are 8KW using 2 x 4KW hub motors which are likely over-volted from 48 to 92 or something.

Oderus420 said:
Wattsup said:
Oderus420 said:

I would link both motors to the same thumb throttle so you'd always be using both motors equally.

I've seen some bikes that are 8KW using 2 x 4KW hub motors which are likely over-volted from 48 to 92 or something.

There are some crazy builds out there!

This is this is the bike I'll be using.

image_jptuar.jpg

I found it on hard rubbish. (It's where once a year you put larger household rubbish out the front of your house and council collect it)
Needless to say the bike is so far from being rubbish, it's hardly been used! The only thing it's missing is a motor and a bunch of 18650s ;)

Wattsup said:
Oderus420 said:
Wattsup said:
Oderus420 said:

There are some crazy builds out there!

This is this is the bike I'll be using.

image_jptuar.jpg

I found it on hard rubbish. (It's where once a year you put larger household rubbish out the front of your house and council collect it)
Needless to say the bike is so far from being rubbish, it's hardly been used! The only thing it's missing is a motor and a bunch of 18650s ;)

I would definitely get dual hub motors for an offroad bike. My path bike isn't even going to go offroad but I'd like 2 motors for acceleration uphill.

I recon everything electronics based is Chinese. I just mean the seller is local to me and I'm Canadian. :D

Yeah, it's pricey for sure but I'm guessing it's worth it.

Back