Pack sizes

TimFr

This is probably a stupid question but which is best, 2 times 10p14s or 1times 20p14s ?

TimFr said:
This is probably a stupid question but which is best, 2 times 10p14s or 1times 20p14s ?

It depends on what you want and what you're using it for.
Without knowing that, would say 20p, just because it's more capacity.

I run smaller packs for swapablilty so i would personally go for 2x 14s10p

Korishan and I were talking about this for my setup. I was originally going with a 13s configuration and would have 300 cells in parallel (3,900 total), but for handling, my pack size would only be 100 cells.

He, rightly, identified that if I did three 13s100p strings instead of one 13s300p, then it would allow me to decommission one of my three strings and maintain system functionality (albeit at a capacity loss).

The downside is you'll need more monitors if you're using a BMS. In your case, you'll need 28 cell monitors instead of 14.

First of all its 14s10p and not other way around (Im pretty sure...)

With that said How much draw do you intend to have? Can you run on 1 single 14s10p? thats not a big battery bank at all. I always build n+1 so I always can remove 1 string. (Like Travis talked about above)

So answering your questions cannot be done since to many factors have been left out like your max current draw on the pack and end result. Do you plan to expand it further down the road?

2x14s10p= 28 points to monitor and balance meanwhile 14s20p = 14 points to monitor and balance.

As Travis says handling is easier with smaller packs.
The question is hypothetical so max draw would be the same.
I like the idea of N+1 for servicing.
Point noted of number of bms monitors
Sory Daromer I know it should be SP not PS

TimFr said:
Sory Daromer I know it should be SP not PS

Well, unless you really are making 10p14s, which is doable. Each pack would be system voltage of 14s, then 10 of those connected in parallel at the ends (no cells in the middle connected in parallel).
So, if you are designing a system voltage pack, then you'd need a bms for each string (note, this is different from Batrium, tho you could use it, but I don't know the configuration for it). In this case, you'd have 10 (or 20 if you go 20p) bms's that would keep each cell balanced within its own string.

But, I digress, I doubt you meant this configuration and really meant 14s20p ;)

Back