Crypo Considerations - Heat the house?

Geek

Not that I am particularly keen on mining, but I was looking at NiceHash, as an easy option to mine.

Theysuggest my 750ti could be profitable. They don't list the 580 - I guess it would be grossly inefficient. Ialso have a few other odd cards around that I have yet to test.

During summer they would not turn a profit, but in winter would it be worth using these GPUs to heat the house? I could easily build a mining rig out of the spare parts I have.

I cannot sell them, as they need repairs - fans replacing - burnt external power connectors ect.

Would it be worthwhile looking to assemble such a rig? And is using NiceHash a good idea - they have had a few bad reviews.

The idea of using electricity to heat the house is just not for me - if I am going to use electricity to heat the house, I make it do something useful.In winter I run my render cluster and other number crunching tasks on my servers to heat the house. They stay dormant during the summer.

Geek said:
I cannot sell them, as they need repairs - fans replacing - burnt external power connectors ect.

You can sell them "as-is". The prices are inflated now and you'll still get a lot of money for it. I bought a used RX480 back in December, broke it myself, and sold it as "broken" on eBay for more than I paid working back in December. It's funny how things work like that when demand is high.

And yes, I used mine to heat the house this past winter. I have all electric heat anyway, so it's either pay for electricity to heat the house or pay for electricity to run the miners which the side effect is heating the house.

Heating the house is great use of the heat generated in doing work. The utility bill was only a few dollars higher this past month than previous, and it's been mining practically non-stop (tho the hardware is old, I'm at least getting some XMR in return). I'm actually turning a slight profit and helping to heat the house at the same time.

I agree with Mike, sell "as-is" on eBay and you'll still get buyers that'll fix them up.

mike said:
Geek said:

You can sell them "as-is". The prices are inflated now and you'll still get a lot of money for it. I bought a used RX480 back in December, broke it myself, and sold it as "broken" on eBay for more than I paid working back in December. It's funny how things work like that when demand is high.

And yes, I used mine to heat the house this past winter. I have all electric heat anyway, so it's either pay for electricity to heat the house or pay for electricity to run the miners which the side effect is heating the house.

Damn - I never looked at that. I have several broken cards that I cannot repair around here. Are people actually fixing them? How?

People are nuts. Aside of reballing/reflowing them. Or replacing caps. How would you go about repairing them?

That said, I will be keeping the ones that work, but I have plenty that don't. Very tempting to sell 'as is'. I can repair them myself, but it would not be right to sell them as 'working'. Some of them appear have had overheating issues for a long time. Who knows the damage a card suffers when the aux power plug burns off it.

If I sold enough of them at what appears to be the going rate - I could buy a new GPU - even at the insane over inflated market price.

A lot of times, they are reballing them. That seems to be the majority of the problem as there wasn't good contact in the first place. Just do a localized heating and get it to reflow under the chip.

The video cards I have are just plain too old to sell and get enough to buy a good mining one. I doubt I'd get $10 for them. Maybe 2 or 3 sold together I might.

Korishan said:
A lot of times, they are reballing them. That seems to be the majority of the problem as there wasn't good contact in the first place. Just do a localized heating and get it to reflow under the chip.

The video cards I have are just plain too old to sell and get enough to buy a good mining one. I doubt I'd get $10 for them. Maybe 2 or 3 sold together I might.

Depends on make and modal. People are getting really good money for old cards in good condition.

Take a gander around eBay. Even cards that are 'for parts only' are getting good money.

This mining craze is sending people nuts. Even secondhand cards are going for more than retail, because new cards are just not available.

I think the only downside to my plan, is I may end up with a lot of dead cards. But its worth a go.

Back