BMS Balancing wire length

rdh824

I have a chinese BMS that I have to relocate and consequently I have to increase the length of some of the balancing wires. Do the BMS balancing wires need to be all the same length?

It depends on the type of BMS you are using. If its a dumb BMS its not that big of an issue BUT it can be that you in the end get packs with uneven voltage. If thats not a problem if they are 10mV appart then go ahead. If its just 1 cm then no iissue but if we talk about 50cm then keep them same, fuse em and make sure they are thick enough!

daromer said:
It depends on the type of BMS you are using. If its a dumb BMS its not that big of an issue BUT it can be that you in the end get packs with uneven voltage. If thats not a problem if they are 10mV appart then go ahead. If its just 1 cm then no iissue but if we talk about 50cm then keep them same, fuse em and make sure they are thick enough!

Hello Daromer,

Its a 60A smart bms with 24ga balancing wires x 15 inches long each. I need to increase a few wires to 27 inches max. So I will change them all to the same length. thanks

As long as the longer ones are thicker then you dont need to extend em all. Just fuse them if you plan on doing it and you will be ok.

daromer said:
As long as the longer ones are thicker then you dont need to extend em all. Just fuse them if you plan on doing it and you will be ok.

What size fuse would you recommend ?

200mA? Depends on the balancing current but if you have that smaller 60mA current a smaller fuse is ok. But don take it to small and it just creates a voltage drop :p

Back