Schneider SW4048 or MPPSolar 120V/240V Split Phase?

not2bme

Since most of these units are 230-240v, it's been quite difficult for us folks in the US on the 120v. I don't see any hope of getting 240v split phase on my PIP2424LV, I'm trying to decide what is the next upgrade path. Mostly how to go to 240V split phase. Since a couple months ago they did release a new version that is split phase capable, but the costs went up by $200 because it's a grid-tie hybrid, plus it's not compatible with the 2424LV, so the costs are now getting up towards the Schneider units, where we can buy and get supported from the US. Now I can't decide what's best.

What do you guys think? Any of you guys using the Schneider/Xantrex units?

MPPSolar 2.4kw paired ($1380 shipped)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Split-phas...olar-charger-battery-charger-60a/142713527856

Pros: Comes with MPPT charger, higher total wattage 4.8kw, grid-tie capable (although not UL approved).
Cons: 24V, two units so 2x50w idle power just to keep running

Schneider Electric SW4048 + Combox ($1442+$188= $1630 shipped)
https://www.invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4488
https://www.invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1304_258_261&products_id=4320

Pros: 48V, US based warranty, UL approved.
Cons: Lower total wattage 3.8kw, needs extra PCM60X so will add $300 more for charge controller.

Or maybe a third option, I was watching the Youtube videos and there are folks using step-down tranformers with center taps to get the 120/240V. I'm not sure how efficient those transformers are at idle and full power though.

So in this case I am thinking about getting this 5048GE, which is only $750 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-5kva-50...ppt-solar-charger-high-PV-500vdc/222711016915

And then get a transformer like this:
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...-240-z-208-z-120_VAC_to_240x120_VAC/C1F005WES

Step down transformers are what the power company uses. Sure, there are losses, but they are probably one of the most efficient ways to get your voltages you need.

According to the spec sheet, you'll have about 380 Watt heat dissipation. There are inverters that consume more than that. Now, your max amps is going to be ~41A on each leg, and ~20A combined (for dryer, electric water heater, etc). So you would need to be aware of those limitations.
The good thing is the heat dissipation is under full load. So if you use half that, then the wattage consumed might be closer to half as well (not sure if it's linear or not for heat loss)

The biggest thing you'll need to make sure of, is that your power usage is balanced as close as possible between the two sides. You don't want to be pulling 20A on one, and only 5A on the other for prolonged periods. Fine for sure uses, but long term causes imbalance in the transformer and would heat it up more. Plus, the heat isn't balanced throughout the transformer, thereby putting extra stress on the windings and such (from my understanding. I could be off on this part; so take with a few grains of salt ;) )

Also take into consideration that the 240V input needs to be as precise as possible. If it goes up to high, your secondary output voltage could cause damage to devices.
Secondary voltages of transformers may damage some loads. For example, a transformer connected as 480/120 Volt but applied 495 Volt primary can produce at No-Load a voltage of 134 Volts
But, since you are coming from an inverter that's outputting a "constant" voltage, I think you should be ok with that.

What about adding a second 2424LV? Feed 1 120V phase from your current one and the 2nd 120V phase from the other (240V split). Correct me if I'm wrong, I've been thinking about this for some time now. I also have a 2424LV-MSD

That's the problem, you can't add a second 2424LV. AC currents cannot be stacked in series like DC current. It has to do with the fact that the AC is alternating from 120V to 0V and if it's not properly sync'd with each other then you won't get 240V. The 2424LV can be hooked up in 3 to get 3-phase power, but not in 2 to get split phase. The question is if it can do 3 phase, why can't it do split phase? Not sure.

I just got a used transformer from ebay for $100 so gonna play around with that. I like my 24V system and still trying to see if I want to keep it that way instead of converting to 48V. Maybe get a used 2424LV and only power it up when needed for the extra horses when I need to run the pump in an emergency.

not2bme said:
The 2424LV can be hooked up in 3 to get 3-phase power, but not in 2 to get split phase. The question is if it can do 3 phase, why can't it do split phase? Not sure.

That is a good question. It would be intriguing to see if it was set up as if it was going to do 3-phase, but only 2 of the legs were connected, if it'd still work. I'm guessing not cuz it needs to talk to the 3rd device. But still. Could it be tricked? Hrmm. I don't have these, so I don't know.
But it stinks that they won't provide a split-phase to the US market. The reckoning on their part is, there isn't enough of a market. How do they know if they don't provide it? grrrr

So I got my 5kva transformer today and it idles at 68W. If I try getting the PIP-4048MS I reckon it will be around 60W idle so we'll be sucking in 128W idle. That's 3kwh of power each day so that's almost 3 solar panels just to keep that system running. Too much idle draw for now at the moment so I'll stick to my 2424LV and 120v only. What I'll do is keep the transformer handy when I need to output 120V to 240V as needed.

Back