Selecting a shunt trip breaker

HughF

I've been searching eBay for an ABB SACE TMax breaker - eBay UK is awash with them - however most of them don't appear to have a shunt trip on them.

I've got my eye on this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABB-SACE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055359.m2763.l2649

And have made a cheeky offer. I don't mind buying a separate shunt trip for this if required... However this XT range seems to have a ton of features including modbus support. Is this a good breaker to get?

looks goodto me ... and a niceprice too :)

It is a 3-pole one, for DC you have to connect 2 of the 3 poles in serie, but you probably know this already.
I think the shunt is already there, (2 wires on the side the other wires are state contacts...)
The modbus feature might be a option, not sure it is fitted on this one.

But remember, with ebay you never know for sure before you have the damn thing in your hands... ;)

I won that one on a best offer, we'll see what it's like when it shows up.

Nice. Just crosscheck that its approved for DC. I own 2 ABB breakers myself and they work flawlesly!

I will check the documentation when I get a chance. I already have a 175a breaker on the inverter/charger and 60's on the solar controller, but none of them have a shunt trip capability, outback branded stuff from 15 years ago.

The postman has just delivered the shunt breaker... some good news- it has the EKIP com module inside (the modbus interface) which might be fun to play with... some bad news, the shunt trip is the 220-250v one so I need to replace that.

I also need to figure out the dipswitch settings on the NLSI unit to set the correct trip current - I need this at maximum (160a)for my application.

image_rbwmtv.jpg

image_idopaf.jpg

Before you buy a other shunt trip, try the one you have on something like 50V DC (it is dc rated) it might work just fine !
I know from mine, ABB has a very wide working range ... :)

wim said:
Before you buy a other shunt trip, try the one you have on something like 50V DC (it is dc rated) it might work just fine !
I know from mine, ABB has a very wide working range ... :)

I just tried it on 30v from my bench power supply - nothing :huh: Perhaps the higher voltage will cause it to fire... I will try and find our higher voltage power supply here at work, I know we have one somewhere.

I've got the user manual, trying to figure out the dipswitch settings now...

Damn.... Looks like I have actually purchased a 25A breaker :( This unit is the Ekip NLSI In=25A version...

image_oqqvwi.jpg

That looks more suitable... I think these models can accept a shunt trip module in the accessory slot...

This looks like mine,i have the 300A version.
But again... ebay ...

You can put the other one for sale at the marketplace there might be someone elsewho can use it.

wim said:
This looks like mine,i have the 300A version.
But again... ebay ...

You can put the other one for sale at the marketplace there might be someone elsewho can use it.
Hopefully I can find a suitable kt3S7 or kt3S8 shunt trip to fit inside this t3n I have just purchased...

Back