SolarEdge (SE7600A-US) Inverter and custom battery pack?

Asked last year if anyone out there has tried using the SolarEdge StorEdge Inverter and was able to couple it with a custom DIY Powerwall pack. Do not know if anyone has successfully done this. It is approved to use with Tesla and LG lithium Ion batteries. Not sure what would happen if one tried it with a DIY Powerwall, but I would like to do it if there is any way possible. I am sending a lot of power back to the grid and am getting ZERO for it.

If anyone has any experience with this kind of setup, please let me know.

Thanks

I don't why you couldn't. Isn't there just a Pos/Neg Battery connections on the Inverter? If so, it doesn't care what the battery chemistry is as long as the voltages match what is needed to run the inverter properly.

Korishan said:
I don't why you couldn't. Isn't there just a Pos/Neg Battery connections on the Inverter? If so, it doesn't care what the battery chemistry is as long as the voltages match what is needed to run the inverter properly.

Approved batteries are only Tesla and LG. There is a "battery control" interface in addition to the +/- connections. So that is why I was wondering if ANYBODY else out there has tried it. Would be nice to hear from someone else's experience.

How many wires are on the battery control? Have you opened up to the inverter to see if there is any labeling on the PCB where the battery control wires connect to the board? Is there any documentation as to 'what' the battery control wires are actually used for?

I ask because it's quite possible that all they are used for is the direct monitoring of the bms and it's status inside the powerwall. But, it's also possible, that it actually has to do software handshake before either system will function (like dialup modems)

Korishan said:
How many wires are on the battery control? Have you opened up to the inverter to see if there is any labeling on the PCB where the battery control wires connect to the board? Is there any documentation as to 'what' the battery control wires are actually used for?

I ask because it's quite possible that all they are used for is the direct monitoring of the bms and it's status inside the powerwall. But, it's also possible, that it actually has to do software handshake before either system will function (like dialup modems)

there is a RS285 link between the battery and inverter. Then the battery either LG or Solarwall is selected.

CharlesFrancisSpeakman said:
Asked last year if anyone out there has tried using the SolarEdge StorEdge Inverter and was able to couple it with a custom DIY Powerwall pack. Do not know if anyone has successfully done this. It is approved to use with Tesla and LG lithium Ion batteries. Not sure what would happen if one tried it with a DIY Powerwall, but I would like to do it if there is any way possible. I am sending a lot of power back to the grid and am getting ZERO for it.

If anyone has any experience with this kind of setup, please let me know.

Thanks

Hello,
Have found figure it out if it possible to connect StoreEdge with custom battery pack? I am looking at the same and thinking that they may use SunSpec for communication over Modbus RS485. So maybe if my battery pack has proper communication with that standard and the voltage levels are correct then it could be possible.

I'll third this as a interested to know. I wonder if it'd be easier to look at the other side, has anyone broken down a Tesla Powerwall or LG Chem to know what kind of communication it provides?

SMA just released a Sunny Boy inverter designed for high voltage packs. They will work with the same LG-Chem modules as the StorEdge as well as BYD Battery Box. The connections they show needing are the a "Battery Enable" and "Ground" as well as a 2 wire CAN connection. I'm guessing it's figuring out how we need to talk on that CAN bus is the key.

If anyone is interested: I'm an electrical engineering student who has a SolarEdge inverter and I think I've found a straightforward non-hacky solution which integrates perfectly into the SolarEdge inverter as if it was just an LG battery. Let me know if you are interested. It's taken me about a week of research and trying to figure out the LG Chem's CAN Bus SunSpec protocol.

Charly said:
If anyone is interested: I'm an electrical engineering student who has a SolarEdge inverter and I think I've found a straightforward non-hacky solution which integrates perfectly into the SolarEdge inverter as if it was just an LG battery. Let me know if you are interested. It's taken me about a week of research and trying to figure out the LG Chem's CAN Bus SunSpec protocol.

Yes, I love that info. What do you think about this? I am a Restoration contractor and love my work truck, dual cab, long bed, petrol! That's what i hate. I want battery storage that I can drive daily and charge it on the job sites power pole while at work, come home and plug and play at night. Swap out the motor and transmission with 125KW battery bank and 12000 watt inverter for tools instead of plugging into the power pole. I mean, it's a mobile power plant!

Hello All,
not directly an answer to the SolarEdge to diy battery bank question,
but more mainstream:solving the issue of can reverse engineering various inverters/hybrids to work with diy-battery banks
So perhaps we could share our findings

A small team ( Tom/UK, Eeven/No, Daniel+Carel/NL)is currently trying to figure out the new SMA HV StorageBoy series 3-6.0AC coupled inverters can protocol hooked up to a BYD 6.4 battery bank,
(see photo of test rig SBS6.0 + Byd box)
Goal is get to the can protocol, from the BYD battery, we want to use SIMPbms to be the interface between EV battery, and SMA SBS6.0,
and hopefully more brands of inverters

For the EU based members: SolarEdge/ Kostal Plenticore PLUS/ Solax X3-hybrid10-T3ph, are very interesting targets

Please contact me if we could share and help each other. c.hassink@pro-lox.nl

image_vdppxr.jpg

SIMPbms links:https://github.com/tomdebree/SimpBMS/blob/master/Simp BMS Setup Manual V0.9.pdf

best regards
Carel

Charly said:

I am very interested. I have 2 StorEdge systems inastalled in my house for testing. I would love to work with you. My email is emmalucian att Gmail dot com. (Hope you can figure that out. Lol)

Anything new on using a StorEdge inverter with a DIY pack? Is there an appropriate affordable BMS which will talk to the StorEdge?

rearden

Iam interested in this also I have a SolarEdge 7600 Also. And i want my 18650 power-wall to work. Has anyone successfully made this happen yet thanks. If so Please elaborate.

Anybody have any luck with this? Im thinking about doing doing this with my SE10000H. Seems a bit more difficult/risky due to being batteries being HV.

Anybody hear anything back about this? Im pretty interested in building a battery for my SE inverter. Ive seen BMS which seem like they should be able to communicate with the inverter. Only problem is the voltage. Would need a DC to DC converter to take the batteries from 48v to ~400v and allow current to go in either direction

Hello, last year, SolarEdge introduced a new inverter with 48v (S-SE10K / RWS-SE8K / RWS-SE7K / RWS-S) battery management built in. Now the DIY battery pack 48V can be used with this inverter but we need to understand if there is any chance to comunicate with the inverter or not.

There is any body who did this?

Thank you
Dan

Hello, last year, SolarEdge introduced a new inverter with 48v (S-SE10K / RWS-SE8K / RWS-SE7K / RWS-S) battery management built in. Now the DIY battery pack 48V can be used with this inverter but we need to understand if there is any chance to comunicate with the inverter or not.

There is any body who did this?

Thank you
Dan
Hello
i am going to try this soon, I have SE10k-RWS and this weekend I conecting Batrium CORE and 2 x K9 to 4 x teslamoduls in 48 volt system.
and if anyone already tried this. Let me now if you find a good working protocol.

Hello
I have SE10k-RWS and Batrium CORE and 2 x K9 to 4 x teslamoduls in 48 volt system.
and connecting is going true cun bus ,in the inverter it is an rj45 connection (cun bus) and on watch mon Coore we have can low/can hi and ground
how to connect ? Can you helping me?

Back