BatteryHasher has andersons

hbpowerwall

Administrator
BatteryHasher has a second home in the workshop where I can keep a better eye on it

Tech4U said:
I have a rig to mine with but have no clue as to where to start. Any help would be great.......

Checkout Nicehash or Awesome miner dude, probably the two easiest places to start literally they are click and go only thing you will need to do is create a BTC wallet for when your each payment

If you still need help reach out to me i love this stuff.. Can't recommend simple miner, nicehash, or minergate - love ethos tho once you learn it. it's so good for troubleshooting issues with rigs

Mine is currently on hold until I get some new gear. My cards are now old enough to not net me any profit with the drops in the currency drops. I plan on getting back into it when I get new gear, though.

Just curious, how much heat does that DC-DC converter produce?

I think he covered it in one of the videos. Not sure, tho :s

I don't think it produced too much heat overall. The efficiency of it is better than going through an inverter and back again, though. Not sure if that's in the above video or another one.

It's not great - playing with configurations at the moment - going to have to go relay to shut the power off to the DC-DC converter as the cards still run and are very warm when miner is off via the batrium. Changed back to a GOLD 1000w PSU for now, but only runs 12 hours a week when the battery is topped off. Considering reducing it to only one card and leaving it on 247

Hey guys, I amnew to the forum but not DC, I have been living off grid for a while now. This summer I built an additional solar system that does not tie into my house power, I used it to run my AC all summer. Now that the heat is gone I have 3kw of power I dont need. My goals are 2 fold, first I wanted to use the extra power to heat the house, second Id like to sell the excess power.

Without being grid tied or wanting to be I was thinking the easiest way to accomplish both goals would be to build a mining rig. Heat+money!

So I built the rig andIm using 580s. When I ordered the parts I didnt order the psu as I would love to run this whole thing right from my 48v 2000ah battery bank.

So my question is... now that the rig is built, whats the best way to safely and most efficiently power it. Is it with a Pico and the forklift bucker like mrpowerwall or would you use powerstream 450w 48v-12vfor the mother board and the bucker for gpus. Or should I just go ac and use my pure sign inverter. I also wonder if going dc/ac/dc will create more heat in the psu. Remember most miners are trying to reduce heat, but I am building my rig to heat my house.

Any input is appreciated, I have been building buildings, solar and computers for years but this is my first run at a mining rig.

If you build your own power supply, you could go with a buck to drop voltage down to 12V, then use regulators to get the 5/3.3 to the motherboard. Then use bucks for the gpus. Depending on amp draw, you could use 1 per card, or 1 for several cards, depending on which buck you got.

That's just a guess at this point, though. Not sure if that'd work directly, but could be expounded upon

Korishan said:
If you build your own power supply, you could go with a buck to drop voltage down to 12V, then use regulators to get the 5/3.3 to the motherboard. Then use bucks for the gpus. Depending on amp draw, you could use 1 per card, or 1 for several cards, depending on which buck you got.

That's just a guess at this point, though. Not sure if that'd work directly, but could be expounded upon

So whats going to be more efficient, a pure sine wave inverter with 90% efficiency or going bucked dc. I have not messed around with changing currentvolts so I dont know what to expect. Also, cost for the base system is not really an issue as this pc/rig will be repurposed during the summer months.

Going from DC->AC->DC will generally always be worse than from DC->DC. Most inverters run 98% max, and that's usually under certain load conditions (I've seen some state that 98% efficient is achieved under 50% load, others under 80% load; so it depends on your particular inverter)
The bucks are usually fairly efficient. I think Julian Ilett built one that is 95+% under varying loads. It's just the way they work. A linear regulator will be less efficient the greater the difference of the input/output voltages. That's why I said use buck to 12, then regulate to get 5/3.3. You could even use 3 bucks from 48V to 12/5/3.3. They all share the common ground, so there "shouldn't" be any issue there to the mobo.

Also to note, you don't "need" a pure sine for a computer psu. It'll work just fine on a modified, if the psu's are relatively new. The newer ones do switching & inductors instead of using a stepping transformer. Th UPS units that you can get cheap for power blips are modified sines and the computers run just fine with those. Altho, that doesn't mean their converting efficiency hasn't dropped a bit.

Back