Tesla launches powerwall 2

ozz93666

Full article here ....https://www.pv-magazine.com/2017/03/09/tesla-launches-powerwall-2-says-all-solar-homes-will-have-storage/

"....said he expected that, within the next 10 years, 100% of homes with rooftop solar would also have battery storage....a 30% smaller, sleeker unit the new design also means the units can be stacked with double the energy storage capacity at nearly half the cost per kilowatt hour of its predecessor, at AU$8,000 ($6,000) per 14 kWh battery pack, with installation and supporting hardware starting at $2,000.*...

Another major difference between the first and second generation Powerwall is that the Powerwall 2 and this goes for the Powerpack, too is what the industry describes as a plug and play battery; that is, it is fully integrated with Teslas own inverter technology, which means it can be added to any solar system without the need to purchase extra inverters.
And while Tesla does make a DC version of its Powerwall 2, without the integrated inverter, it has decided not to sell this model on the Australian market, to keep things simple for the solar and storage consumer.
Other specs worth noting about the new model are that it can be wall mounted or ground mounted, and can be used both to increase solar self-consumption, and for back-up power in the case of a grid outage.
The Powerwall 2 also has a usable capacity of 13.5 kWh, an operating temperature range of -20C to 50C, a 10-year warranty, and round-trip efficiency of 89% (compared to 92% for the DC Powerwall, which is why some are unhappy this model is not being offered outside of the U.S.)
On safety a contentious issue in Australia, currently,with the suggestion of new guidelines prohibiting lithium battery products from being installed in homes or garages Rive said the company applied the same rigorous safety standards to its Powerwall and Powerpack battery systems as it did to the lithium-ion battery packs the company puts in their electric vehicles.
Cars have to be able to handle serious impact serious changes in conditions. (For the Powerwall) it sits, just against the wall. But even still, we apply the same safety standards. So we are confident that our Powerwall is the safest lithium-ion battery on the market and in the house.
On price, Rive said that he expected the cost of Teslas battery storage currently sitting somewhere between AU$530/kWh AU$900/kWh ($400 $675) would continue to decrease with the economies of scale already being achieved via its gigafactory production, but probably not at the same rate of decline seen over the past year.
But already, Rive says home battery storage has hit that perfect point where its a good investment for home owners, between 8-15 per cent return on investment and a function of security and insurance.
This articlewas originally published in RenewEconomy. It is re-published with permission....."

$US6K for 14KWHrs ... that's about 1400 new cells ... consumers are being chargedabout $4/cell which tesla buys forless than$1 each ... they can afford to give an inverter in the pack for free.

"8-15% per annumreturn on investment " ...in your dreams !!!

DIY powerwalls can easily beat tesla .... but the bureaucratsand politicians won't allow that ..

Look out Australia .... "Lithium-ion battery storage may be banned inside Australian homes" ....https://www.pv-magazine.com/2017/02/13/lithium-ion-battery-storage-may-be-banned-inside-australian-homes/

If you don't count the cost of our labor, I've spent hundreds of hours at least just learning about lithium cells, never mind motors, controllers, solar PV and so on.

Personally I'm more of the mind that politicians and bureaucrats are less likely to interfere with things they don't know about which is why I'm big on passive safety for DIY powerwalls.

I used to ride a fairly hot bike for the time, it was loud and attracted a lot of attention. One day I put a quiet pipe on it that actually made more horsepower than the loud one but the difference was in what I could get away with. With the quiet pipe came the ability to fly under the radar so to speak..

Sooo, I'm the loud exhaust :(

Back