1,5 - 2 kW powerbank for house

DK100

New build for the coming months. Not a powerwall its way to small for that, but a 1,5 2 kW powerbank for covering the house usage during the nights.

This project makes no economical sense so its for fun and learning. Im going to do it as cheap as possible, making things myselves and recycle stuff, af far as possible for me.

The houshold consists of two persons and standard modern appliances, such af TV w boks, fridge, freezer, ventilation, ligths, 3 tower PCs etc.

During the past years, Ive been weeding out power consumption as much as possible, and we are down to a yearly use of around 2.500 3.000 kWh. From that we can deduct about 500 kWh produced on two small PV arrays. So net use is about 2.000 2.500 kWh a year, which we buy from the grid.

Typical electricyty use is about 4 8 kWh a day lowest in summer, highest in the dark winter days here at 56 deg. North (Denmark)

Night time loads are 50 180 watt pr hour, depending on how many things are switched on, when we go to bed.

Current system
The two PV arrays are:
1: 6 x Kanaka K60, 60 watts thinfilm panels, facing SE, feeding a Solardin 600 gridtie inverter. This system was installed in 2007.
2. 3 x Schco 190 W monochrystaline panels facing SW feedning an other Solardin 600 grid tie inverter.

image_bsgpar.jpg

New system
I would like to introduce a 1,5 to 2 kW powerbank, charged by my solar, and then covering the night time power use. As it is today excess power from solar is fed to grid and we earn next to nothing for that. So want to store the energy in a batteribank, and use it at night.

For that purpose, I plan to buy a Victron Multi 800 24 V invertercharger.

This will be hooked up the the mains L1 before house fusebox on the inputside, and on the outputside to L3 after housefusebox (where the two solardin inverters are connected.

Powerbank wil be housed in an old PC tower cabinet, 7s 42p 18650 reclaimed cells. Voltmeters on each celle and whole bank.

BMS will be a cheap china model as the one Daromer tested.

In addition maybe (economy) a victron Venux GX.

Current status of the project are that Im collecting cells, and have aobout 60 more to test before starting building the 7 pack of the powerbank.

New system would be something like this:

image_dyvbph.jpg

This way, and can keep running my Solardin invertrers and only have to buy the Victron stuff.

As a sugestion, why not use a small UPS unit (either 24V or 48V) and run some of the applicances directly.

I think this one is 24V, the 1500VA models for MGE are 36V. APC start at 12V for the 300W ish, 24V to 800VA and then 48V for 1500VA to 3000VA (old model) as a rough guide.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGE-Evol...ck-Up-NO-BATTERIES-including-VAT/123011083212

The UPS approach could provide the inverter at 10% the cost of the Victron...

The charging circuit for the inverters tends to be terrible and sloooooow charge, usually in the 20-100W range. but this could provide for a slow day charge.

Last point - with APC they tend to be blue Adams connectors for 48V systems like in this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APC-2200...NO-BATTS-inc-VAT/132594608756?epid=1720581156

completelycharged said:
As a sugestion, why not use a small UPS unit (either 24V or 48V) and run some of the applicances directly.

I think this one is 24V, the 1500VA models for MGE are 36V. APC start at 12V for the 300W ish, 24V to 800VA and then 48V for 1500VA to 3000VA (old model) as a rough guide.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGE-Evol...ck-Up-NO-BATTERIES-including-VAT/123011083212

The UPS approach could provide the inverter at 10% the cost of the Victron...

The charging circuit for the inverters tends to be terrible and sloooooow charge, usually in the 20-100W range. but this could provide for a slow day charge.

Last point - with APC they tend to be blue Adams connectors for 48V systems like in this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APC-2200...NO-BATTS-inc-VAT/132594608756?epid=1720581156
Because loads are at very different places in the house, and I need 230 V. Plus the Multiplus can do a lot more things. Keeping my power in the house either in the batteries or distribute to the fases with loads, be UPS for the whole house by creating local grid etc. And keeping batteries charged at all times.
link to the unit in question datasheet:
https://www.victronenergy.com.au/upload/documents/Datasheet-MultiPlus-500VA-1200VA-EN.pdf

If I choose to invest in the Venus GX, I'll also be able to run the ESS assistant (program). This has to be seen in a longer perspektive, where I in some year change the 6 Kaneka K60 60 watts modules to 3 x 200 watts panda er the like, thus upgrading my solar power fra the curret 0.9 KW to 1.2 KW.

Link to ESS Setup: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual

Disclaimer - big caution as this can go seriously wrong.... Deffinately not safe if you don't know what your doing and deffinately not to be left unattended.....

You can do the same thing with a UPS for "testing" very easily. Take a kettle socket lead and put a plug on the other end - not a standard kettle plug but a female one that plugs into the UPS output.

What I do is switch the circuit off - say a socket ring - and then plug in the UPS output to one of the sockets in the ring.

Switch the UPS on and the UPS then back feeds into the ring main through the house. If you switch the circuit back on at the mains it will result in the UPS being set on fire if your lucky.

This is a very easy way to back feed your house in an emergency. Pull the main fuse out instead and you power the whole house.

I was an electrician for 11 years, electrocuted a few times due to other peoples bad wiring and my mistake of not always testing what I thought was disconnected even after pulling the circuit fuse out and having it in my pocket......

completelycharged said:
Disclaimer - big caution as this can go seriously wrong.... Deffinately not safe if you don't know what your doing and deffinately not to be left unattended.....

You can do the same thing with a UPS for "testing" very easily. Take a kettle socket lead and put a plug on the other end - not a standard kettle plug but a female one that plugs into the UPS output.

What I do is switch the circuit off - say a socket ring - and then plug in the UPS output to one of the sockets in the ring.

Switch the UPS on and the UPS then back feeds into the ring main through the house. If you switch the circuit back on at the mains it will result in the UPS being set on fire if your lucky.

This is a very easy way to back feed your house in an emergency. Pull the main fuse out instead and you power the whole house.

I was an electrician for 11 years, electrocuted a few times due to other peoples bad wiring and my mistake of not always testing what I thought was disconnected even after pulling the circuit fuse out and having it in my pocket......

I know - this was how my inverters was connected when I started. It could be a cheap way to do it manually, but in the long run it will too much hassle on a daily basis.
The Victron stuff is not cheap - but which hobby is? On the other hand I can programme the Multi's charging so that I protect the battery, and I can switch it on and off if I like. And I know it will be a lot safer. (No kaboom or fires)
batteries and charging has to be taken serious. Eksamples on houses has burnt down cause of charging the e-bike battery unattendend over night exists. So with 2 kWh I'll take the safer route....

Sounds like you're heading in a good direction, the Victron stuff is good gear with low standby use too.

You can save quite a bit of money if you do the open source Venus, vs buy the official Victron unit.

I've got a customised Raspberry Pi monitoing my system & there's daromers excellent version here:
https://secondlifestorage.com/t-Esperyds-Raspberry-PI-project

With your tower PCs, have you considered going to lower powered laptops?

Yes I look at the Pi thingy..... Electrics I'm OK with. Programming for me is like showing me something in Chineese. Compleaty unable the grasp the meaning :(
Yes - one tower will be change to laptop, and an oter are only used on special occations. (Picture editing)

Redpacket said:
Sounds like you're heading in a good direction, the Victron stuff is good gear with low standby use too.

You can save quite a bit of money if you do the open source Venus, vs buy the official Victron unit.

I've got a customised Raspberry Pi monitoing my system & there's daromers excellent version here:
https://secondlifestorage.com/t-Esperyds-Raspberry-PI-project
I intend to get the system online, and use the VRM portal.
Could a Raspberry Pi do that insted og the Venus GX thingy?

Venus is apparently Linux, so the Pi should be able to run the software, but can a Pi act as an Venux GX device ??? (Without a lot of programming that is)

Is see that the version 2.14 for the venus includes fixes for the Pi. https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2018/04/24/venus-v2-14/

Opdate.
Kabinet muck up, old tower kabinet recycled to house the 7 s 42 p battery bank.

image_htwceb.jpg

Cell holder design

image_fsesju.jpg

Busbar design

image_lbhvwd.jpg

Building the packs.
Used packbuilder. 7 s 40 p.
81 amps 24 volts. About 1.950 kWh in total.

image_gfxaym.jpg

DK100 said:
Building the packs.
Used packbuilder. 7 s 40 p.
81 amps 24 volts. About 1.950 kWh in total.

image_gfxaym.jpg

Hey DK100,

is your project running?
Im starting the same setup, maybe i can learn from your project :)

Back