Rad's powerwall build

Rad

Well, like many, I have been quietly gathering cells over the last few months. Watching YouTube at the same time,I am sure I must have spent days watching the guys experimenting and passing on their knowledge. What I set out to do initially has surechanged a lotas I learn about better methods.

I have now gathered about 2400 basically testedcells and have just completedand started using my30 baymass charger. The base is apiece of polycarbonate:

image_qsqncq.jpg

I ran one pair of busbars per 10 battery holders:

image_embxur.jpg

The TP4056's were attachedto the battery holders first, using the + and -copper wires:

image_vktshw.jpg

Then the battery holders were screwed down into the base:

image_xgyvst.jpg

Santiago said:
Wow, this is not a charger, this is an sculpture.

Thanks Santiago, maybe if I spent more time on the powerwall build itself,rather than the charger,my project would have progressed further:)

Rad said:
Ibiza said:
Hi Rad, which of the PC boards you linked is actually one you use?
Regards

Hi Ibiza

I use these TP4056boards,they areavailable from many sources. There are two types, one with protection and one without protection. I used the ones without protection.

example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...0c3b05a&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

Thank you so much for your advice

One more question if you don't mind Rod: what is on the right top on the first photo? Is that a power supply ?

Yes thats a 5.1volt 30amp power supply. No fans needed in cool weather but fans are definitely needed when its warm.

thanks again

I like your design and, if you don't mind, will copy it.
How many cells you are able to test in 24H?

Ibiza said:
thanks again

I like your design and, if you don't mind, will copy it.
How many cells you are able to test in 24H?

Yes please copy and improve it. I can charge approximately 200 cells per day. This varies a lot, especially when I forget to check for green lights! Please note this device is not testing the capacity of the cells. It only charges them in preparation for a self discharge check and acapacity testthat will follow.

Wow, that's one of the best charger setups I've seen in awhile. Very clean. I agree with Santiago, that's more of a sculpture ;)
That thing should hung on your wall even after you're done processing cells just for the sentimental value :cool:

Just curious, how long did it take to build it? There are a lot of precise bends and such. Also, what do you do for a living?

Reactions: Rad
As Korishan says, hang it on a wall.. the very first framed wall art charger.. should be on display (Powered up !!!) !
Like the charger layout and ideas, very neat.

Thank you Korishan, haha yes it seems crazy that it will be used for a relatively short time after all the effort of design and construction. The actual build took about 7 hours but if you add all the time spent sourcing the parts and working out the design it could easily be a couple of days. I did some of the bends of the six main input bus bars in a vice before attaching them to the crossbars. I used an assembly jig to attach the TP boards to the battery holders. This ensured a consistent and reliable alignment. I am an electronics tech, work on various surveying related products.

completelycharged said:
As Korishan says, hang it on a wall.. the very first framed wall art charger.. should be on display (Powered up !!!) !
Like the charger layout and ideas, very neat.

Thank you, maybe I should add one of those RGB LED case lighting kits, pimp it up a bit!

I am working on my mass discharger layout. I wired up a couple of the discharger boards as a testand noticed the resistors get quite (actually very109C)hot. They are 2 ohm 10 wattresistors, current is approximately 1.8 amps.So I have arranged the resistors above the board in an attempt to keep them away from the batteries and boards. This is what I am considering:

image_vwvspi.jpg

closer view:

image_udzdyv.jpg

Question, how can I get rid of all the discharger heat? Fans? Heatsink?

1.8A seems high for a 10W resistor. I discharged all of mine using that style units on 3.3 Ohm 10W resistors and was getting 1.1 when the battery was full and .9 when at 3V

jdeadman said:
1.8A seems high for a 10W resistor. I discharged all of mine using that style units on 3.3 Ohm 10W resistors and was getting 1.1 when the battery was full and .9 when at 3V

Thanks, maybe I should get 3ohm resistors instead. Did your resistors get too hot to touch? How long did a discharge test take on a typical good 2600 mAhbattery?

The general Consensus is to discharge at 1A continuously. I have tried the continuous and the resistive dischargers and both work fine as long as you only use 1 method of testing to get relative data.

Yes, agree with jdeadman. You don't want to capacity test using both methods, Constant Current and Constant Voltage. This can cause a discrepancy in your results.

However, you could do this specifically and make two different strings. String A is only tested with CC, and String B is only tested with CV. Could turn out some interesting results in the end.

My mass discharge tester is working well. I have nowcompleted testing more than 2500 cells. Similar to my mass charger I used a piece of poly-carbonate as a base:

image_xkjzjm.jpg

I used ZB2L3 boards fitted with 2R7 ohm 25 wattresistors.

image_xfifev.jpg

The 5 volt power to theboards was connectedusing two parallel 1.7mm diameter copper busbars. I used the thicker copper wire for rigidity even though the current flow is quite small:

image_cxclwz.jpg

The cell holders and theresistors were also connected up using 1.7mm copper. I used a bending jig to get some consistency in the layout:

image_gflyxb.jpg

Impressive !
Your charging/testing rig is really a work of art.

Back