Hello from The Netherlands (Northern Europe)

Sjef

Hello,

I am a 50+yrs hardware and software engineer and I am working in the microprocessor related industry, I started as an hardware engineer and after more than thirty years in software, support, sales and management, I am back to my first hobby as an hardware engineer. I usually have the same problem as Pete: time, time and time.

We have here on our house a 4.8 kW solar installation of 16 x 300 W panels on the roof and a Solaredge inverter, that is roughly generating a 4.3 MW per year.
Until now, we get as much as money for putting power on the grid as taking of the grid, here in The Netherlands, as long as you, in total, are not producing more than you use (it is called "netting"). But, that might/will probably change in the coming years. Tesla introduced their power wall here a half a year ago and last week there score was 30 power walls for the whole country (17M people), because of the "netting", not a big business here yet.
I have always been intrigued by chargeable batteries and a power wall is about the ultimate usage for them. That is why I am very interested in the subject.

I want to take the following (micro-)steps, while I am gathering batteries:
- I want to spot-weld the batteries so that I can put some small cheap electronics (e.g. electronic fuse, temperature sensor and voltage/current measurement) on them. That is why I am building my own capacitative discharge 200Ws spot-welder.
- I am also already thinking out my own automatic bulk-charger/discharger electronics, I am following what Nerdville is doing on the mechanic side, very interesting !
- Still puzzling for the safest setup.

That was about it, for now.

Cheers, Sjef.

Back