Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solder versus Crimp
(05-19-2018, 10:02 PM)completelycharged Wrote: The main issue with screw terminals and thin stranded wire is the pressure and twist from the screw will usually cut a few of the strands with medium pressure. The second issue is that the thin wire, if not twisted and doubled over, may not actuall be in contact with the terminal if it is a barrel because the screw may only end up putting pressure a few strands while the others are free.

With stranded wire, if the terminal is large enough always bare off twice the terminal length, twist it so that it is compact and not stranded and then double over. Ideally with thin wire double back and then solder if it is not just a single fix, i.e. it will be fixed and removed more than once.

That was the way I was tought from an electrical installation perspective.

Good points & agree with those, also +1 for ferrules where the tightening screw comes in contact with the wire strands. Yes you can definitely get plenty of issues putting an undersized cable into a large hole with a screw anchor if you haven't done something else to help.

I was thinking of the "cage" type termination eg in a circuit breaker where the screw doesn't touch the stands & makes two plates squeeze the wires.
In this case with fine stands, if you twist the strands or if space allows double it back & then tighten the fitting up, I'd suggest that'd be good by itself even with thinner cable.
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
I have been pondering using something like this....

Thoughts?
<<< Contact me for quality used Yuasa LEV40 and LEV50 prismatic lithium batteries in Australia >>>
There is a 3rd option to crimp and solder, been a while since I had to do these.

The top one was an experiment with the crimper to see how it would work.

Normally with larger cables you do not need ferules unless they are for specific terminals because the round shape may actually result in less contact area with the terminal than the raw cable.

Also, some cables are over sized due to the voltage drop and not current carrying capacity, which is when you can end up with crimp terminals for a large cable that fits a small terminal..
This is the culprit I am trying to accomodate with the cables. I am a bit fussy (read very fussy) when it comes to connecting cables. Which is why I have been looking at alternatives to just inserting the bare copper wire. Probably dont need to do anything, and just inserting the copper would be fine. 

The Victron SmartSolar unit will take 35mm2 cables, so that is what I've sourced. I guess I could start with some of your suggestions and see how things go. The pin crimp thingys are crazy expensive, which is why I am thinking about it before buying stuff.
<<< Contact me for quality used Yuasa LEV40 and LEV50 prismatic lithium batteries in Australia >>>
That has a somewhat broad piece of metal that presses down on the cable. So the cable is squeezed between two plates of metal. Stranded or solid will be just fine with those. Take the stranded and twist them first, though, so you don't have a rogue strand.
gregoinc likes this post
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)