EPEver, USR IOT, Charge Controller, Software, eBox-TCP-02 Communications

Korishan

Administrator
Came across Adam Welch's video about the eBox-TCP-02 Communications box.. After a review of the device, he goes into software details. The EPEver is actually made by USR IOT and that's where he needed to go to get the software.

He has links to devices and software in his description.

CALL FOR HELP.
I have been remotelymonitoring my PCM60X over my home LAN for about two years now. I use it to charge my 2P12S SLA bank consisting of 24 x2V 1000Ah cells.The run toget from my Desktop is Ethernet up to my steel-walled shed (about 60 metres), then via a 6-port switch to my various devices. I use a remote-desktop'dWin 7/Atom PC to do most USBfunctions there, but cannot monitor the PCM60 as it needs MPP Tracker and RS232/USB converter, whereas my two PIP inverters use Watchpower for monitoring and both programscannot be run at the same time on one computer.

I have been using an Ebay Ethernet to USB remote box toconnect to the PCM60 via theUSB server software that came with the box. It works, but the connection is highly temperamental, sometimes running for a few days, other times refusing to see any remote USB connections after a few minutes. To cut a long story short, I gave up on the remote USB server box and purchased a USR IOT Ethernet to RS232 box, model TCP232-302, and downloaded the VCOM software from their site. Running VCOM will allow me to see the remote PCM60 serial port, but there appears to be no protocol dialog going on between them, as the VCOM display just says "connected" but no info coming down the line from the PCM60.

Does anybody have any experience in setting up the TCP232 box to talk to a PCM60?

Mike

If no one here has an answer, go to Adam Welch's video and post a comment. He's pretty good at responding to comments. I personally do not know how to fix or even diagnose your issue, sorry.

Timing on the USB hardware level makes USB over Ethernet unreliable for anything that is time syncronised so when the network switches drop a packet or are delayed with other traffic the USB frame will timeout and disconect the device, which is probably what you were seing. The way to potentially avoid the dropouts is to remove the switches by adding a second ethernet port/card to your PC.

completelycharged said:
Timing on the USB hardware level makes USB over Ethernet unreliable for anything that is time syncronised so when the network switches drop a packet or are delayed with other traffic the USB frame will timeout and disconect the device, which is probably what you were seing. The way to potentially avoid the dropouts is to remove the switches by adding a second ethernet port/card to your PC.

Thanks forthe feedback guys,
Karishan, I have watched some ofthe Adam Welch videos, so will takeyour suggestion and drop a comment there.
Completely charged: Yep that sounds about right, I tried all sorts of switch/port combinations, but sounds like my LAN is just not ready for USB :-/ I suspect there may be an RS232 level problem with the PCM60, or a flaky comm routine therein. Having said that, I haven't yet contacted MPPSolar, perhaps that may be a good place to try as well.

If you can run a separate twisted pair use RS232 to RS485 converters, work a treat, cheap and over a few hundred meters.....

I use one of this to communicate with my MPP by WIFI.

https://es.aliexpress.com/store/pro...l?spm=a219c.12010615.8148356.1.5694b0f2ufBk7j

And I use Usriot products at work.TCP232-302 with rs485 and other usriot for TTL.

With HLK-RM04 I had to cut the cable included with inverter, I didn't remember if was an problem of male-female with that particular device or null-modem cable.

With TCP232-302 in USR-VCOM software you see COM Receiving increase and Net Receiving stuck at 0?.

Did you configure the device with correct baud rate, parity, etc?

Regards

All;Sorry for the tardy response, been busy with other things.

Thanks for the comments, I have sent off the problem to MPPSolar and they have responded with some additional questions, which I have sent. They are presently working on a response, which I will share with all once received.

Regards,

Just an update. Despite two further emails to MPPSolar, have had no further responses from them re using the TCP device. Gave up and went back to the IP-USB converter. I have two of them, one is "Welland" brand and the other is a "Sedna" copy. The Sedna seems more reliable with the latest firmware updateand has been running fine now for five days. Touch wood.....
Since the poor old PCM60X data has to negotiate an FTDIRS232 to USBlevel converter, the USB to IP converter, a4-port ethernet switch, an AP/router, a 50m ethernet cable run, a 30m EthernetOver Powerline run and a final 3methernet cable and router switch/wifi to get to my PC, I guess I should be thankful it works at all, andlets me check my battery stats while still feet up withmy morning coffee.

You can use any device and use solar-sis that i have created. You can also implement it to an ESP or other device if needed. All code is open source including the protocol exist.

daromer said:
You can use any device and use solar-sis that i have created. You can also implement it to an ESP or other device if needed. All code is open source including the protocol exist.

Thanks for the heads up on solar-sis, will take a look.

Mike

Final update just in case somebody is looking for info in the future.
I have still hard nothing from MPPSolar re the TCP gadget interface. As mentioned earlier, I went back to seeing if my IP remote USB server could be made to work reliably. I uninstalled all the relevant driver and software for both the Sedna and Welland models from my desktopand reinstalled the latest drivers for both:

Sedna -USBServer_Setup_15_0126_0058.exe
Welland-nh204-USBServer_Setup_10_0917_0048_WHQL.zip

Tried the Sedna and it all worked OK, then tried the Welland NH204 and it also worked OK.

However both still had a reliability issue, apparently lockingup

To cut a long story short, while I had the Welland in use, I decided to wall-mount it, but the homemade ethernet cable connecting it tothe LANswitch in the shedwas too short for the new position, so I replaced it with a longer store-bought ethernet cable. Viola! It has now run perfectly for over three weeks, so I suspect my home built cable was right on the edge of being faulty, perhaps temp changes were sufficient for itto lose continuity. (And that's the reason I alsodon't make humongous DIY powerwalls :pIf I can stuff up a simple ethernet crimp plug, imagine what I could do with a bunch of energetic 18650's.)
Anyways, all is fine, touch wood, and the PCM60X now workshappily to MPP tracker on my desktop, 80 metres away in a different building,via Ebay serial/USB dongle, Welland USB server toCAT5and powerline ethernet LAN.

Back