Iphone battery blows up on repair shop counter

station240

All over the media at the moment, but they are using an edited down version of the video.

Occurred on March 13, 2017 / Australia

"A customer came into the store with screen damaged iPhone 6+ for repair. The customer wanted repair of broken screen and complained of Apple genuine battery not holding charge. We removed the customer's Otterbox and prepared to book the phone in. Then, the customer picked up phone and applied a regular amount of pressure to the screen, the same as any normal person would do everyday during regular use. The battery failed and exploded. Initial force of the explosion caused the screen to come off the phone. Our staff extinguished the phone with a fire extinguisher. We had to evacuate the store due to fumes and could not open for the rest of the day. Draw your own conclusions, but imagine if this happened five minutes earlier when the guy was driving to the shop and not in the shop."

it looks like the battery may have gotten punctured some how when he was pressing on the screen. If you look right at the end when they are showing the burned out phone, the battery clearly was ruptured right at the charging port area. Or what ever that port is on the side.

Could be a classic case (no pun intended) of not enough space between sharp solder joint and battery.

My initial guesses of what happened, anyways.

We have had a few go up here, a piece of broken glass gets into battery area and all over...lol not much fun an makes you jump, never happened to a good phone only an abused one.

should still be reason enough to put a extra layer around the battery, who needs 8'' displays on a phone, and why does it have to be 5mm thick? all bad design-choices for me, LiIon was long known to go fatal when damaged...

MajStealth said:
should still be reason enough to put a extra layer around the battery, who needs 8'' displays on a phone, and why does it have to be 5mm thick? all bad design-choices for me, LiIon was long known to go fatal when damaged...

Because we're talking about Apple here. They like pushing out junk to monkies who droll over their overpriced expensive poor designs.

I generally tell customers to set their device down while they explain their problem and not touch it until a diagnostic is provided, and we always remove any cases ourselves. I've seen dozens of iphone batteries with punctures/swelling where failure was extremely imminent, such that if the customer tried to take off the case while pushing on the screen I'm sure it would've smoked, many times I've seen actual burn marks on the battery around the punctures.
IMO apple batteries are simply the worst of any mobile device battery and sadly its by design.

MajStealth said:
hm thats right, what did i think^^

I'd look for a Samsung Galaxy 7 if I were this guy...... I have had multiple Apple iPhones and they never even get hot... It just goes to show, you abuse a product at your own risk :dodgy:

RobertBaumer said:
MajStealth said:

I'd look for a Samsung Galaxy 7 if I were this guy...... I have had multiple Apple iPhones and they never even get hot... It just goes to show, you abuse a product at your own risk :dodgy:

I replace 60-80 iphone/ipad batteries monthly and about 10 of all the other brands combined. I would say about half of the iphone batteries were bad from charging with shitty chargers/cables and damage to the charging ic. I almost never see a samsung battery damaged by a shitty charger/cable which people are exponentially more likely to use being microusb.

Scepterr said:
RobertBaumer said:
MajStealth said:

I replace 60-80 iphone/ipad batteries monthly and about 10 of all the other brands combined. I would say about half of the iphone batteries were bad from charging with shitty chargers/cables and damage to the charging ic. I almost never see a samsung battery damaged by a shitty charger/cable which people are exponentially more likely to use being microusb.

Something must have gone horribly wrong as SamsungGalaxy was banned on all flights in the US. There are so many reason, too many to count that there are more dead batteries with iPhones. By the looks of it, that guys screen look cracked. I bet the guy had one of those "Made in India" knock off Otterboxes... I guess that was not a warranty repair he was getting done as it does not look like a Apple store.

Robert, you're aware that was just the Note 7, right?
It's being sold with a slightly smaller battery now btw.

Scepterr said:

Sorry, I am just one of the iPhone monkeys... I am somewhat of a Apple monkey with 4s, 5s, and 6 plus.... 2 iPads... 2 mac pros... However my work forces me to use Dell laptops and in my lab I have 2 blade centers.....

Robert Baumer said:
Scepterr said:

Sorry, I am just one of the iPhone monkeys... I am somewhat of a Apple monkey with 4s, 5s, and 6 plus.... 2 iPads... 2 mac pros... However my work forces me to use Dell laptops and in my lab I have 2 blade centers.....

^^ +1

Me too Robert. I am all in with ? at home. iPhones, iPads, and 2 MacBook Pro's. finally got my wife into ? and now she is sold.
I work in IT also and they force us to use Dell. [emoji33]

Back