Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
19" DIY Power Packs
(08-13-2018, 03:09 AM)Riplash Wrote: And will they will be treated like High Voltage connections as much as I can.  (Hard to turn off the batteries when you work on them...They are always on)

It may help safety to have a breaker or isolator switch mid pack so you can break it into modules to work on as well as disconnecting the whole pack ie without a ground or battery +ve connected.

Large diameter heatshrink might be an option vs electrical tape?
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
Hey Guys. I can get a lot of 1/4W resistors. I want to use their legs as fuse wires. Do you recommend them or should I go for the 1/8W?
It depends on the thickness which of course determines the "blow" current.
Keep in mind that resistor legs are usually copper wire inside which is different to fuse wire & blows at a higher current for the same size.
1/8w resistors would be closer to the the amps you'd want the fusing to happen.
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
(08-26-2018, 08:02 PM)schmue Wrote: Hey Guys. I can get a lot of 1/4W resistors. I want to use their legs as fuse wires. Do you recommend them or should I go for the 1/8W?

Hello Schmue,

I would recommend that you get the wire for fuses by specifying the wire.  What I mean is  if you want to use 30 AWG TCW buy that particular wire. or if you use some other type of wire as a fuse, specifically buy that type of wire.  If you use the legs off of 1/4 watt resistors, each batch/brand/ and or lot number may use a different type of wire that is still within specs for the resistor, but may be different type of wire and have different  fuse characteristics.

-Ryan
Thank you guys.
Found this little glass fuses
I want to get max 50a out of each pack so in a 30p configuration, that is 1,6a per cell. Should I use the 2a fuse or 1.5?
(08-28-2018, 04:52 AM)schmue Wrote: Thank you guys.
Found this little glass fuses
I want to get max 50a out of each pack so in a 30p configuration, that is 1,6a per cell. Should I use the 2a fuse or 1.5?

Its up to you. Personally I would use 3a or even as high as 5a. It is just to protect the pack in the event of a cell going short circuit. Or user error, if you short the pack while assembling it. If you go too small you will loose capacity to resistance in the fuses.
Hello guys, Thanks for sharing these ideas. It's helped me a lot.
Hi guys, it has been a while but today my proof of concept went to the next level.

AaronM and RikH like this post