Electrodacus - Active BMS - opinions?

Hans Tuchel

Hi, guys,

does anybody has experience with this active BMS?

http://electrodacus.com

What other active BMS would you recommend and would it be even suitable for our DIY projects?

Any input is welcome :)

It looks like itwill only do parallel arrays, the max pv input is 45 volts. This is for large pv systems where all the panels are in parallel. For 1 or 2 panels you can find cheaper controllers. In the manual I notice that the balancing current is only 200ma, just a little better then the balancing done by many of the BMS built in balancers. So this electrodacus controller will not work to well with a battery that might have balancing issues, it will charge it but once a cell reaches a high point it will stop fast charging.

What I found out, if you use "active balancers" , all you need is the controller to control everything, the overvoltage relay and battery BMS can be the last line of defense in case something fails. Its how I been charging my 110ah 4s DIY battery forthe past 6 months. It works so good I no longer worry about the lithium battery getting overcharged. The active balancers can balance at up to 10 amps each, on a 4s system there are 4 balancers. They work great on a battery that might have balancing issues. You can hit the battery with maximun amps almost until it reaches 100 percent. My 4s active balancer cost me 90 dollars, worth every penny. They sell them for larger series batteries also, and they work with either li-ion or lifepo4,electricarpartscompany has them. If you can keep your pack in perfect balance any controller will work. Overvoltage relay and BMS are just insurance in case the balancers fail.

The overvoltage relay you can adjust it so it disconnects the panel when the battery voltage reaches 14.4 volts (4s lifepo4 max voltage 14.6). The overvoltage relay only works good if the battery is in perfect balance. And in my system the overvoltage relay is used as a backup,it hasn't activated in months,just adjusting the controller to switch to float at a certain voltage will work everytime. My 240 watt solar panel can max out at 14 amps output and the active balancers will easily keep the battery in balance.

As much as possible you need to avoid for the Battery BMS to activate and stop the charging, this will cause voltage surges that will destroy anything connected to the battery. Thats another good reason for the overvoltage relay.

active balancers, without the balancers one of the cells would be reading 3.60 volts which will activate the BMS everytime and keep the battery from getting a full charge especially when charging at high amps.

image_moyiwe.jpg

how I got my system setup, thats the controller I use ecoworthy 20 amp mppt, its 5 years old and I used it to charge lead acid, now doing lithium, the beauty of those 100 dollar controllers is all parameters are adjustable from the 4 buttonson unit itself. With active balancers no need to get a "lithium" ready controller.

image_vkizcc.jpg

Interesting.
My LiFePo4 system is that I build in protection like an algebraic equation. Brackets ,inside brackets ,inside brackets.

In the inner brackets I have a voltage controlled switch on the Photovoltaic negative line.
In the next set of brackets I have the charge controllers settings.
In the outside brackets is the BMS settings as last resort.

Like this on 24 volts LiFePo4
(BMS low 20v (Charger Low 25v ( PVSwitch Low 26.5v... High 27.8v ) Charger High 28v) BMS High 28.2v)

This ensures that when not used heavily the battery cycles down to at least 26.5v before any charge can come from the panels.
Its disconnects the panels when my battery reaches about 3.5volts per cell
(I have an override switch too that I can flip if need be.)

Should something go wrong then the chargers settings will cut off charge to the battery but leave the battery connected.

Should all that fail high or low , the BMS would then disconnect the entire battery.

Back