Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Watts-on's "SpringSlot" 18650 Battery Holder
(08-31-2018, 10:08 PM)watts-on Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 08:27 PM)rev0 Wrote: Have you done any resistance measurements of this holder? Like what the voltage drop is from the PCB to the cell +/- under 1A load? Would be interested on how it compares to the normal spring holders.

I haven't done any current testing yet, as I am waiting on delivery of some brass nuts.  The ones I'm using at the moment are stainless steel which is about the worst possible material since this design relies on the current traveling through the thread and then the nut to reach the ring tag.  The brass nuts should be much lower resistance.  Either way though I'm pretty sure it will be good for 1000mA standard testing current.

(08-31-2018, 08:27 PM)rev0 Wrote: Though it looks like this will be reserved for special applications, seems it takes a long time/lot of effort to assemble each one.

Yeah, it's only really for charge/discharge tester applications.  It's easier to assemble than I made it look in the video.  I'm not used to doing and filming at the same time.  Smile

(08-31-2018, 05:17 PM)wim Wrote: Gotta get me a 3-printer thingy real quick  Smile

(08-31-2018, 07:11 PM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: I could buy a 3D printer right now...

Noooo, don't do it!.  All 3D printers have a time dilation field in their immediate vicinity.  Hours of time seem to disappear without a trace.  Big Grin

Lol. start a project and a few minutes later police are kicking the door in...."been on missing person for last three months what have you been up to?"..."nothing sir.. just playing with my 3d printer.". I just printed it without supports and had a fairly successful result. cheers and keep up the good work. Smile
BlueSwordM, hbpowerwall, Korishan like this post
Thanks guys.   Cool

(08-31-2018, 10:08 PM)watts-on Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 08:27 PM)rev0 Wrote: Have you done any resistance measurements of this holder? Like what the voltage drop is from the PCB to the cell +/- under 1A load? Would be interested on how it compares to the normal spring holders.

I haven't done any current testing yet, as I am waiting on delivery of some brass nuts.  The ones I'm using at the moment are stainless steel which is about the worst possible material since this design relies on the current traveling through the thread and then the nut to reach the ring tag.  The brass nuts should be much lower resistance.  Either way though I'm pretty sure it will be good for 1000mA standard testing current.

Brass nuts have arrived so have done a quick load test.  After 5 mins at 10A the terminals were barely above ambient:

28.8°C in ambient of ~21.  That was way better than expected.  Smile

(09-06-2018, 03:34 AM)hbpowerwall Wrote: this is great & awesome work on the video!!!

Thanks Sir Pete! I feel honoured  Big Grin

(09-06-2018, 10:20 AM)GaryMatthews Wrote: Lol. start a project and a few minutes later police are kicking the door in...."been on missing person for last three months what have you been up to?"..."nothing sir.. just playing with my 3d printer.".

Haha, If Einstein had had a 3D printer he would have written a whole theory about it.  Smile

(09-06-2018, 10:20 AM)GaryMatthews Wrote: I just printed it without supports and had a fairly successful result. cheers and keep up the good work. Smile

Yeah, I designed it to print without supports, hoping that would work for everyone.
Did you have any suitable spring? I designed it to take left or right wound versions in case that was required.
completelycharged, hbpowerwall, Korishan like this post
@Wattson, what is the Vdrop on these brass nuts?

I would be interesting so I could calculate the power loss and the resistance of the contact itself.
The power of lithium ion is in our hands!
We'll show them what we're made of!
(08-31-2018, 08:27 PM)rev0 Wrote: Have you done any resistance measurements of this holder? Like what the voltage drop is from the PCB to the cell +/- under 1A load? Would be interested on how it compares to the normal spring holders. Though it looks like this will be reserved for special applications, seems it takes a long time/lot of effort to assemble each one.

(09-06-2018, 05:57 PM)BlueSwordM Wrote: @Wattson, what is the Vdrop on these brass nuts?

I would be interesting so I could calculate the power loss and the resistance of the contact itself.

I did some more measurements:

Using a copper conductor in place of the cell, and with the PSU outputting 10A @ 0.621V the voltage across the solder tags at each end of the holder was 25mV.

Let me know if you need any other measurements taking.
BlueSwordM and Korishan like this post
Mate that is genius and awesome. I need some for my Charger / Discharger. Now to buy a 3D printer. Hmmm will my wife let me hmmm.........
(09-18-2018, 08:38 PM)brettwatty Wrote: Mate that is genius and awesome. I need some for my Charger / Discharger. Now to buy a 3D printer. Hmmm will my wife let me hmmm.........

Thanks mate.  I'd send you a set, but postage from the UK is going to be eye watering.

Pete's a lot closer, and he's got a shiny new printer and needs something to practice on...  Big Grin
brettwatty likes this post
(09-20-2018, 04:50 PM)watts-on Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 08:38 PM)brettwatty Wrote: Mate that is genius and awesome. I need some for my Charger / Discharger. Now to buy a 3D printer. Hmmm will my wife let me hmmm.........

Thanks mate.  I'd send you a set, but postage from the UK is going to be eye watering.

Pete's a lot closer, and he's got a shiny new printer and needs something to practice on...  Big Grin

watts-on, how much you selling these for - im in london
(09-21-2018, 08:56 AM)unclebob Wrote: watts-on, how much you selling these for - im in london

I haven't really though about selling them. How many are you looking for and would you want just the printed parts or with the spring and contacts?
I've no idea how much. Maybe I should ask, how much would you expect them to be?

(09-20-2018, 04:50 PM)watts-on Wrote:

Actually I just checked and postage is a lot less that I was expecting.  If you PM me a delivery address I'll send you a set. It's the least I can do after all the hard work you've put into the Charger / Discharger project.
What size brass screws are you using? I think I might give this design a shot. I need to build another 24 slot board.
(09-21-2018, 07:26 PM)Travis Watson Wrote: What size brass screws are you using?  I think I might give this design a shot.  I need to build another 24 slot board.

They're M3 Cheese head.  Thread length 10, head thickness 2mm.  They're too long but I already had them in stock. 6mm thread would be plenty.