New powerpack 7S 22P

After building a 3S 60P, now made a 7S 22P.
This is last pack before starting the powerwall. Upgrades since pack 1:
- spot weld negative site with nickel strips.
- spot weld 3A glass fuses to pos. side and solder to busbar.

Capactiy of cells is between 1700 & 1900, have 700 higher capacity cells left for the 7S powerwall.
Spotwelder Sunko 709A

Have a nice weekend.

Frank

image_hxfujb.jpg

image_zyvxui.jpg

image_lzjgsw.jpg

image_cxotsj.jpg

image_iopsao.jpg

image_bqbelo.jpgimage_cocgmf.jpg

First pack 3S 60P as reference. Generated almost 30Kwh green DC energy this summer to power my XDSL modem, charge all mobile phones, tablet0, BT radios and a LED strip.

image_hfytzz.jpg

CrimpDaddy said:
I like the recycling and use of the old PC case... nice work.

me too.. its bloody brilliant.. I have a full ATX workstation which would be cleaned up and another case (from time when I built the xeon workstation) unused untouched.

Might have to measure the internals and see what I can do with them.

Hi Frank,

I've noticed that in the last picture you have a battery pack of a Gazelle bike laying on your power pack.
I have some too. But I have a hard time to get rid of the bus strips. When removing it leaves holes in the battery.

How do you remove the bus strips so that the battery doesn't damage?

Chris

ChristiaanPlug said:
Hi Frank,

I've noticed that in the last picture you have a battery pack of a Gazelle bike laying on your power pack.
I have some too. But I have a hard time to get rid of the bus strips. When removing it leaves holes in the battery.

Chris

As with all stuck strips, just sip them flush. I use a sharp pair of sidecutters.You don't have to completely remove them. It is a common problem with many high current packs.

In fact, if a strip proves hard to remove at all, I just cut it off, leaving the spot welded pieces behind. Saves damaging the battery. They are particularly sensitive on the -ve end.

If you look closely at the photos you can actually see that much of the nickel has been left on the cells.

ChristiaanPlug said:
Hi Frank,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I actually never opened a gazelle battery. It still holds +350w and I use it as a small 40v powerpack.
About the bus strips.....I even try to leave some on the cell, it makes it easier to solder/weld on the battery.

When I accidentally have a hole in a battery I always put it in the bin to recycle, I advice to do the same for security and capacity reasons.

Have fun recycling.

Franky

Back