New Battery Harvest Method (FAST)

cstanley

This has saved me hours and hours of labor. I've harvested hundreds this way so far.

Materials required:
Vice
Battery Packs

Tii3e0e.gif

I have only had a few not work this way. I will upload more animated pictures of me doing it with other types.

The only ones I have had a hard time with are the ones that have super think plastic. I'd say 90% of the batteries I've ever got from scrap yards open this way.

Your results may vary, but I've been extremely satisfied so far!

Now, you will still have to pull the wires and such apart and do a little extra work. For me, getting the shells open was the most time consuming.

It highly depends on the type of battery. It works on some of them but not all. Its a matter of trial and error I would say. When you know how to open them it all goes that fast.

I have done all from sledgehammer on certain spot to vice to pliers on certain spots to just tapping them on the stone floor :)

I can open all Lenovo packs and have the Cells out in about 15 seconds. Some of the dell are similar. I'm sure I'll get the rest figured out as I go. There are tricks to each style of pack.

There's an even faster way. Just smash them on something very hard like concrete by the batteries seam like a monkey and then crack them right open. No tools required except your hands. I learned this from a channel called 18650 ebiker:

If you have a lot of the same battery, it can take only a few seconds to open packs.

In the video you see him smash them on the ground once. I go a step further and repeatedly smash them on the ground until they crack in half on their own, then I pry them apart. And no, I have not dented a single cell. Also no, I have never damaged a cell in the process or had any catch fire, and people say li-ion is dangerous...

I still just wack all four corners on the floor. gets 100 packs open in half an hour.. Job done Naturally there is losses but they are acceptable in my opinion

Back