Poll: If a cell tests good but has some corrosion on the end
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Corrosion = huck
42.86%
3 42.86%
if you can clean it, keep it
57.14%
4 57.14%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
keep good cells that were next to corroded?
pulled some cells that were at 3.7v but were next to a 0V short cell and the positive is a little corroded and nasty, would you clean it up and rewrap or is any corrosion cause to huck it?
It would definitely go through some extra testing, though.
I would throw them if the voltage is 0. If the voltage is 3.7 or around i would clean them and stick them into a "Need to test bit more and use for 2ndary stuff"- bin.

I got plenty of cells as of now and therefore i rather throw some extra cells than dont....
JustJim and Korishan like this post
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(04-02-2017, 07:21 AM)daromer Wrote: I would throw them if the voltage is 0. If the voltage is 3.7 or around i would clean them and stick them into a "Need to test bit more and use for 2ndary stuff"- bin.

I got plenty of cells as of now and therefore i rather throw some extra cells than dont....

thats what im going to do, i also opened a pack that had some burn marks and the bus strip was melted in half.... but all the cells were 3.7x and looked fine otherwise, was a generic pack im guessing epic BMS failure
If there is corrosion (metal rotting), I throw them away. Not worth the time trying to clean. Burn marks from an adjoining cell is not corrosion, so I keep those still.
Bubba likes this post
I guess I should clarify mine. If a cell has rust/corrosion on it, especially the side walls, its tossed. I the cell has some specs of rust on the ends where the tabbing is/was ar, then I'll test it out. If the ends are rusty, its tossed.
Same here. Corrosion on the cell itsell i throw. But just corrosion on cells on the side or just some on the plastic i tend to keep in 2nd bin.
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
I got a number of Dell packs(D6**) with Sony cells, and the third cell in was corroded badly. Enough that the strip had separated from it and the adjoining fourth cell. All of the other cells tested fine and still had 85%+ of their rated capacity. I found 5 packs exactly like that. The Sony cells "bleed" this weird black goop when they fail.
(04-02-2017, 03:22 AM)Jadon Brenda Wrote: pulled some cells that were at 3.7v but were next to a 0V short cell and the positive is a little corroded and nasty, would you clean it up and rewrap or is any corrosion cause to huck it?

It depends...

I'd be nervous about the "good" nearby cells especially if they had some rust. It would depend on how desperate I was feeling.
As I get mainly power tool packs I find a lot have been left out in the rain or even submerged it would seem. So I come across rust often. Any sign of it and I discard the cells. Not worth the risk of future failure IMO
                                                Choose LiFe  Wink

May all your batteries be fully charged and perfectly balanced  Cool