keep good cells that were next to corroded?

If a cell tests good but has some corrosion on the end

• Corrosion = huck

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • if you can clean it, keep it

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Jadon Brenda

pulled some cells that were at 3.7v but were next to a 0V short cell and the positive is a little corroded and nasty, would you clean it up and rewrap or is any corrosion cause to huck it?

It would definitely go through some extra testing, though.

I would throw them if the voltage is 0. If the voltage is 3.7 or around i would clean them and stick them into a "Need to test bit more and use for 2ndary stuff"- bin.

I got plenty of cells as of now and therefore i rather throw some extra cells than dont....

daromer said:
I would throw them if the voltage is 0. If the voltage is 3.7 or around i would clean them and stick them into a "Need to test bit more and use for 2ndary stuff"- bin.

I got plenty of cells as of now and therefore i rather throw some extra cells than dont....

thats what im going to do, i also opened a pack that had some burn marks and the bus strip was melted in half.... but all the cells were 3.7x and looked fine otherwise, was a generic pack im guessing epic BMS failure

I guess I should clarify mine. If a cell has rust/corrosion on it, especially the side walls, its tossed. I the cell has some specs of rust on the ends where the tabbing is/was ar, then I'll test it out. If the ends are rusty, its tossed.

Same here. Corrosion on the cell itsell i throw. But just corrosion on cells on the side or just some on the plastic i tend to keep in 2nd bin.

I got a number of Dell packs(D6**) with Sony cells, and the thirdcellin was corroded badly. Enough that the strip had separated from it and the adjoining fourth cell. All of the other cells tested fine and still had 85%+ of their rated capacity. I found 5 packs exactly like that. The Sony cells "bleed" this weird black goop when they fail.

JadonBrenda said:
pulled some cells that were at 3.7v but were next to a 0V short cell and the positive is a little corroded and nasty, would you clean it up and rewrap or is any corrosion cause to huck it?

It depends...

I'd be nervous about the "good" nearby cells especially if they had some rust. It would depend on how desperate I was feeling.

As I get mainly power tool packs I find a lot have been left out in the rain or even submerged it would seem. So I come across rust often. Any sign of it and I discard the cells. Not worth the risk of future failure IMO

I had this pack for 5years now. For some reason I decided to take it apart and some of the cells looked good not to much but just a little corrosion on the negative terminals looked like dots where the flux might have landed. But under the wrapper holy... It was bad take a look and tell me if you think corrosion is safe. I could really have burned my house down that sells was full charged. ?? Now I only wrap my cells in clear wrapping. [diy]undefined[/diy]

Back