Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batrium: Remote charge targets & Eltek 2000HE
None, I´m using the WM4!
(10-16-2018, 08:25 PM)Filip Wrote: None, I´m using the WM4!

Ah I thought you might have had the rectifiers in the rack first.
Resurrecting an old thread as it seems pretty appropriate for what I have been encountering this week.

I have tried to get a couple of Eltek 2000HE working on two different occasions now.
Both times I have been met with failure.

I'm not a canbus expert, so it's extremely difficult for me to troubleshoot if it's a communication problems but it seems suspect because I only see TX (no RX or unknown counters) on canbus monitoring page of the watchmon software.

Anyways, the conclusion of this thread seems to be use http://www.rec-bms.com instead. Or at least that was basically the last response.

At this point I'm heavily invested in Batrium and would much rather stick with their BMS as I know at least some others here have had good luck with it.

Should I just get a different charger? or a nice inverter/charger?

I'm fine with getting something besides the Eltek 2000H, I just want something that's a little better supported. Seems like the Eltek is somewhat spotty even when working correctly. I don't like the idea of Eltek loosing charging setting on power cycle.

Anyways, I'll play with this setup some more. See if I can get something working.
The Eltek HE is rock solid - just use a standalone controller that can speak CAN, I cant recall if I mentioned it elsewhere in this thread, but it'll be documented on the ES forum.

(05-13-2019, 08:25 PM)Oliman Wrote:  ...... I only see TX (no RX or unknown counters) on canbus monitoring page of the watchmon software.

That sound very familiar.....

I've no idea what scale system you are building, but if you've already got the WM4 a Victron MPII, with Venus, ESS works almost perfectly with the Batrium WM4.
(05-13-2019, 08:37 PM)Sean Wrote: The Eltek HE is rock solid - just use a standalone controller that can speak CAN, I cant recall if I mentioned it elsewhere in this thread, but it'll be documented on the ES forum.

(05-13-2019, 08:25 PM)Oliman Wrote:  ...... I only see TX (no RX or unknown counters) on canbus monitoring page of the watchmon software.

That sound very familiar.....

I've no idea what scale system you are building, but if you've already got the WM4 a Victron MPII, with Venus, ESS works almost perfectly with the Batrium WM4.

Thanks for the info.

I'm actually working on getting some quotes from a few solar installers to have some additional electrical work done.
I need to add battery backup to my existing 8kW solar array. It's crazy how hard it is to find people who know or want to mess with battery backup. (Maybe it's just my area)
I could probably do the work, but a "Professional" should be able to do it much faster, and I have never dealt with permits and whatnot.

I only mention that because I haven't picked an inverter/charger for the battery system yet. I'm running a 14s 100p  pack on Batrium right now. Only one full pack done, many more to come in the future, got a couple thousand 18650's waiting to be self discharge tested after sitting for a couple months. He're a link to my build thread, finally got around to making one not too long ago.

Anyways, I was hoping the WM4 would get me by temporarily by talking to the Eltek HE directly for charging. Sounds like that might not be the best plan. Any recommendations on a cheap canbus controller or should I just hold out until I have some real components in place?

I should have two quotes this week, one for SMA sunny island inverters and another form a company who recommended Sol Ark (don't know anything about that brand). Not sure about Sol Ark and Batrium integration, I'm holding out on doing a bunch of investigation until I see how expensive these guys are.
All you need to get reliable CAN control of the HE is in this link, it'll a longish read.

http://52.25.253.50/forums/viewtopic.php...edb0af92d6

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/leonardo-canbus

Never heard of Sol Arc, looks like it's a dressed up clone of who knows what. There's a handy alternative quote equipment list on their site though.

The PV system can be completely separate from your battery system, that's why I'm so keen on Victrons ESS - add to an existing PV install, use whatever batteries you want, talks CAN, the OS (Venus) is open .... stackable inverter/chargers.

(05-13-2019, 11:41 PM)Sean Wrote: All you need to get reliable CAN control of the HE is in this link, it'll a longish read.

http://52.25.253.50/forums/viewtopic.php...edb0af92d6

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/leonardo-canbus

Never heard of Sol Arc, looks like it's a dressed up clone of who knows what. There's a handy alternative quote equipment list on their site though.

The PV system can be completely separate from your battery system, that's why I'm so keen on Victrons ESS - add to an existing PV install, use whatever batteries you want, talks CAN, the OS (Venus) is open .... stackable inverter/chargers.

Thanks for all the info!
That was indeed a very long thread, which I had actually read about a year ago (last time I was messing with the flatpacks).

I'm pretty sure I only digested about 50% of it, even though I have gone through it multiple times now. I did end up ordering a couple leonardo-canbus boards this time (just in case I let the magic smoke out of one). Looks like they are on backorder so I might be waiting a bit.

Anyways, it seems like all the motorcycle guys were mainly using the leonardo-canbus board to program the default DC output so that it wouldn't revert to 53v every 20sec or after powering off.  I'm curious, did you integrate the leonardo-canbus board into your final powerwall design? Or did you only re-program the voltage as a 1 time setup for extra protection in case Batrium lost control the flatpacks?
I was thinking of just programming my flatpacks for 51.8v (3.7v*14) for my 14p battery and then just putting the leonardo-canbus cards in a drawer until I need to do something with canbus again.

While I wait on my canbus controller to come in the mail. I was making sure I understood how the whole system should be wired up and came up with this diagram.
Does this look correct? I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. I know there were some people who were talking about needing canbus ground isolation for multiple flatpacks, but thinking about that now. That might have just been for the guys who were putting flatpacks in parallel. Maybe I should read the thread again...